Re: Clobberin' Time...

Cryofax
SubjectRe: Clobberin' Time...
FromCryofax
Date09/17/2001 02:46 (09/16/2001 17:46)
Message-ID<423506ec.0109161646.2361e50e@posting.google.com>
Client
Newsgroupsrec.arts.sf.starwars.misc
FollowsCelaeno
FollowupsCelaeno (22h & 34m) > Cryofax

celaeno@shavenwookie.nospam.com (Celaeno) wrote in message >>True.

Celaeno
I'd prefer to think maybe the US would have the decency to not blow up a city at all in this case...

To expand upon that... To me, the ONLY thing that makes what happened on Tuesday NOT an act of war, is that it was not arranged by a government. In that vein, if the US government should -God forbid- arrange to have some city bombed to bits because the terrorists live there, that WILL be an act of war.

If a country aided and harbored the terrorists that did this, that's already an act of war and they deserve what they get.

I mentioned Hiroshima and Nagasaki because despite the very different circumstances, they had many civilian casualties who never had anything to do with the war effort and who had had no warning. In other words: I have no reason to believe the US, IF it was decided to go blow up a city to get even, would ask civilians to kindly depart the affected buildings before the bombs hit... and I pray that it won't come to that.

If we're punishing a country that aided the terrorists, we'll likely let them have some warning before we level a city (we have in the past). We can do this because there will be nothing they can do to stop it. This was not the case with Japan.

On the other hand if we're bombing an area to erradicate terrorists then it would be stupid to give any warning obviously.

Hopefully, everyone but the hapless JWK will be able to understand what I'm trying to say here :)

Sounds like you're saying killing people is bad. Rather than simply decry violence in the world, I'd like to hear your suggestions for dealing with the current situation with some detail...

- Cryo

Celaeno (22h & 34m) > Cryofax