Re: Clobberin' Time...

Celaeno
SubjectRe: Clobberin' Time...
FromCelaeno
Date09/20/2001 00:03 (09/20/2001 00:03)
Message-ID<3ba89c56.5883621@news.world-online.no>
Client
Newsgroupsrec.arts.sf.starwars.misc
FollowsCryofax
FollowupsRoy W. Andersen (11m)
Cryofax (2d & 7h) > Celaeno

You will not evade me, jack_shappa@hotmail.com (Cryofax):

Cryofax
celaeno@shavenwookie.nospam.com (Celaeno) wrote in message

If a country harbored known terrorists, then they knew that further terrorists acts originating from within their own borders was possible. That they didn't expel or arrest the terrorists means they approve of and support such activity. If the terrorists were hiding in a country unbeknowst to the country's government then that's a different situation entirely. Currently the thinking is that the Taliban knew of, harbored, and approved of Bin Laden's activities. But we need to be darn sure before we go bombing Kabul.

Terrorists have been harbored by assorted countries for DECADES without anyone feeling a need to start a full scale war.

You can't seperate the civilians from the rest of the country. They live there, they're part of the country. If that country commits an act of war we are at war with that entire country.

So if an American terrorist goes and bombs something in Afghanistan and goes back home, the US government is harboring him and hence the entire country is a valid target for war and punishment in the eyes of the victim, and killing a few US citizens in the act of punishing them is just to be expected and nothing to get outraged about.

Right?

And stop with the "you're no better than the terrorists" crap.

Can't handle the truth about jingoism?

Nobody wants to make it worse. But then sometimes things get worse before they get better...

And sometimes they don't have to get worse before getting better.

Sounds like you're saying killing people is bad.

Celaeno
And you disagree with that?

Cryofax
As a blanket general rule? Yes. Sometimes people need to be killed.

Funny. My blanket general rule is that killing is bad,and 'sometimes people need to die' is the exception.

Celaeno
In this case, I'm saying killing the right people might be good, killing the wrong people is (as always) bad.

Cryofax
Of course nobody wants to kill the "wrong" people. But if we take out all the terrorists, but unintentionally kill some civilians (not thousands, but let's say a few hundred) in the country does that mean the operation was a failure?

Don't ask me, ask the people whose lives you don't give a flying fuck about.

Celaeno
Not act rashly.

Cryofax
We haven't thus far. We could have nuked Afghanistan by now if we wanted to.

Whoop de do.

With this in mind don't you think we need to nail the whole country hard now? That Taliban government is fanatical even by Islamic standards...

And what makes you think all of Afghanistan supports Taliban?

Rakelle -- There was an old man