Re: Clobberin' Time...

James W. King
SubjectRe: Clobberin' Time...
FromJames W. King
Date09/15/2001 11:09 (09/15/2001 11:09)
Message-ID<20010915050948.07448.00000220@mb-fl.aol.com>
Client
Newsgroupsrec.arts.sf.starwars.misc
FollowsWes Hutchings
FollowupsC'Pi (1h & 26m) > James W. King
Wes Hutchings (8h & 29m)

Cryofax (jack_shappa@hotmail.com): "Here I go again, with another 'Geez what is the deal with the JWK bashing?' post. I'm sorry but his reply just seemed to be in the vein of the whole discussion. It was a well thought reply to a point made by another during a debate. That makes him an asshole?"

Wes Hutchings (<A HREF="mailto:yyrkoon@cwnet.com">yyrkoon@cwnet.com</A>):

"His single-minded ability to see Nazis in EVERYTHING is the problem."

Wes Hutchings
James King: "Liar! I have qualified every use of the term 'Nazi' in any

post of mine which ever mentioned the word. It's not my fault that you cannot find a single credible argument to rebut the merits of my points, especially since George Lucas has now more than validated my concerns. And I defy you to prove otherwise in credible and lucid terms. *I absolutely defy you to do so.*"

"We have, on numerous occassions. The one which I did so

succinctly was when you described the Nazi breeding program as synonomous with that of the Jedi, forgetting that the Jedi don't have a breeding program."

James King: "Liar! I alluded to how the Jedi's taking of Force-capable-qualifying babies and toddlers away from their families was so grimly evocative of that division of the Nazi Liebensborn program which took *already-born children* with 'good Aryan German features' (blond hair, blue eyes, 'Aryan' facial shape) away from their non-'Aryan'-German parents in the countries occupied by the Third Reich."

Wes Hutchings: "Show where I lied."

I just did above. (Duhhhhh!)

Wes Hutchings: "Since the children the Jedi have 'taken' to date have shown to be given voluntarily and have not been placed in a breeding program and in fact only number to 10k in a entire galaxy, your point is again shit."

Bogus issue and false parallel. I have never compared the Jedi's appropriation of young children from their parents to the other "baby mill" breeding programs of the Leibensborn program anyway. And I defy you to go to www.google.com/groups and find statements to that effect supposedly written by myself. *I absolutely defy you to do so.*

As to the number 10,000 for the number of Jedi in Faraway Galaxy at the time of the Prequels, I do not include Padewans in that number because they are not full-fledged Jedi. We could also suppose that some elderly Jedi retire, too, and wouldn't be counted in that number because they're no longer active. For if the Jedi are to be anything remotely like a thin blue line of defense in a galaxy teaming with trillions of inhabitants, the number 10,000 ought to apply only to those full-fledged, still-active Jedi and not include Padewans and retired (no-longer-active) Jedi.

But your argument of numbers (that there are only some 10,000 Jedi in the galaxy in the Prequel-Trilogy period) is beside the point. Thus far, the Jedi children taken away from their families haven't yet been portrayed as having any regular or sporadic contact with their birth parents or families -- and *that's* yet another compelling factor that puts me off altogether, because that similarity makes its comparison to the occupied-territory-child-appropriation division of the Leibensborn program all the more striking, since those children taken by the Nazis from their families were never meant to see their birth families again, either. So, it matters not how many children the Jedi took away from their families, for even if they took away only one child under such birth-family-disassociative conditions, that's already one child too many.

And it certainly doesn't impress me in the least that Lucas fostered this notion by leaving Anakin's mom back on Tatooine when the only thing standing between her and freedom was a mere price tag! After Queen Amidala had praised Anakin for winning the podrace, saying something to the effect that she owed him everything, it's absolutely astounding that Lucas would not have established through implicative scripting that sometime during the interim between the interim between the end of the Battle of Naboo and the Gungan-Naboo reconcilliation ceremony at the end of the movie that Amidala had sent some emissaries of hers to Tatooine to buy his mother out of bondage, especially after Anakin saved her planet, too, by blowing up the Trade Federation battlestation.

In fact, buying Shmi Skywalker out of bondage would have been the *least* that Amidala could have done to repay Anakin. Indeed, the movie badly needed some sort of genuine emotional pay-off at its conclusion because it was already something of an empty Christmas stocking in terms of emotional pay-off as it was. And what better time for Queen Amidala to have sprung a surprise reunion for Anakin and his mother than during the Gungan-Naboo reconcilliation ceremony at the end of the movie.

That act of kindness would have also provided a genuine touchstone in Episode One for why Anakin would later on fall in love with Amidala, too.

Wes Hutchings: "I still haven't seen you acknowledge your fuck-up of misquoting someone else with my words."

If I have indeed misattribute a quote of yours to somebody else, then I do regret having done so; however, I would appreciate knowing which particular quote of which particular post you're talking about.

-- James King

C'Pi (1h & 26m) > James W. King
Wes Hutchings (8h & 29m)