Re: Clobberin' Time...

Paul \"Duggy\" Duggan
SubjectRe: Clobberin' Time...
FromPaul \"Duggy\" Duggan
Date09/21/2001 07:08 (09/21/2001 15:08)
Message-ID<Pine.OSF.4.21.0109211359200.32648-100000@marlin.jcu.edu.au>
Client
Newsgroupsrec.arts.sf.starwars.misc
FollowsWes Hutchings
FollowupsWes Hutchings (1h & 24m) > Paul \"Duggy\" Duggan

On Wed, 19 Sep 2001, Wes Hutchings wrote:

Paul \"Duggy\" Duggan
From: "Paul \"Duggy\" Duggan" <jc122739@jcu.edu.au> On Wed, 19 Sep 2001, Wes Hutchings wrote:

No. They went to Pakistan by land. Travelled to Indonesia, paid to travel to America, but were ripped off and sent to Australia.

Wes Hutchings
Which still places them closer to you.

Paul \"Duggy\" Duggan
We are closer, but we are not a nearer neighbour.

Wes Hutchings
Dazzle me with the distinction that doesn't make you a hypocrite.

Point being that we are not a neighbour of Afghanistan, and it wasn't about distance or that shit, it was actually about the fact that not everyone in Afghanistan wants to be there - and I'm sure those people don't want to be targeted from something a government they wish to flee is doing.

That they stopped at the some places along the way is obvious as they SAILED there and they're a LANDLOCKED nation. Please tell me you have an actual point.

My point is they were trying to get to America.

Why do I have to tell you the same things over and over again? That's right, because you're not paying attention or you get it wrong the first few times. We JUST covered this above, it is because your nation turned out refugees and in the same breath you criticize the US for not doing what your nation refused to do.

I didn't. That was not the topic at all. Whether the US takes refugees or not is not an issue.

If you like I can pull up the old post concerning the spamming response debate, in which you choose what amounts to violent action and here today you claim there is no distinction in violent actions.

If you continue to compare the deaths of innocents to you having to delete extra posts I will lose every ounce of respect for you as a human being. *Nothing*... *Nothing* I have seen on this newsgroup "amounts to" the same thing as the lose of a single human life.

Paul \"Duggy\" Duggan
I am unaware of your actual position, but I know what I've been replying to that you've written.

Wes Hutchings
No, because if you were doing that, you'd KNOW my actual position or for that matter you'd know what I meant.

I looked back, and as far as I can tell, you replied to my posts before I replied to yours.

Since my posts were stating a wish that the US would not move first to violence, your replies either agreed - and so we've been agreeing all this time - or disagreed - which is what I believed you thought violence was the best action.

Either you beleive that or not. Which is it?

You stated we should have helped the refugees that your country gave the boot.

Never did.

Paul \"Duggy\" Duggan
The US shouldn't help everyone. In fact they're been helping too many people in the wrong ways.

Wes Hutchings
Hindsight is 20/20, if you pull your head out of your ass, then it'll get a little clearer.

Yes. And the fact that this has been bought up *before* America did a lot of it's stupid moves, suggests that the 20/20 hindsight should include *listening to people* once in a while.

Paul \"Duggy\" Duggan
I admit it, and hate my country for it.

Wes Hutchings
Thus calling me and my nation responsible while you refused to help people at your doorstep.

Huh?

Do you know how many tens of millions the US has given Afghanistan this year in food aid?

No. Food aid won't help political refugees anyway. Which is the point of the discussion.

You are truly dense. You're criticizing the US and me for not doing something you admit your nation refused to do.

I see. I'm a hypocrit because you think I said something I didn't.

All the while forgetting we in fact have aided them.

"We don't like the government" "Here's some food" "Our supports someone who possibly killed Americans" "We may have to declare war on your country."

I'm not. Feel free to make an actual point. To date you're showing your ignorance and refusal to recognize what is said to you point blank.

Huh?

Paul \"Duggy\" Duggan
The part where you don't realise that escalating a situation does not reduce deaths.

Wes Hutchings
We've done nothing for decades.

Paul \"Duggy\" Duggan
Hey, this bin Laden guy America hasn't done anything against... didn't he live in a house that exploded? Fortunately for him he wasn't there...

Wes Hutchings
Which was in rettalliation for no less than 2 attacks aaainst military forces.

"We've done nothing for decades"

You did something. Now the same person is (possibly) responsible for a *bigger* attack on Americans.

This is what I mean by making the problem worse.

If you want to lie and claim that you have done nothing to esculate the problem, not then admit that you have used a violent military responce recently - and unsuccessfully - which may have increased the problem.

Paul \"Duggy\" Duggan
I'm sure America didn't have anything to do with that.

Wes Hutchings
I'm sure your comprehension makes it impossible to distinguish between attack and defense.

That's the point I'm trying to make.

He attacks military targets. You defend by attacking him. He attacks civillian targets.

I'm saying that defense by military attack is a stupid move. It makes things worse.

Thank you for citing cases.

Paul \"Duggy\" Duggan
Lie all you want, but the truth is America *has* been doing stuff.

Wes Hutchings
Show the lie, do it right fucking now.

Quoting you:

We've done nothing for decades.

You admit that you have done something. And don't claim that defense doesn't count, because esculation was being discussed not attack or defense.

I see retaliations against acts of terror.

Many see the terrorist attacks as retaliation for acts of terror in many other countries.

Attacks on these people will be seen by them as acts of terror, and they will retaliate.

I see them carried out by people we helped train to stand against their enemies. I see that once they managed to get that enemy out of their land we continued to help that country. I see that country stabbing us in the back.

Which part is giving you trouble?

The part where you focus on a tiny little part of the picture. Tell a glowing story of how great America is and how it has done no wrong and use that as a justification of violence.

That is exactly the sort of thing that bin Laden does. Ignores part of the story, plays up the others. Justifying the violence and convincing other to carry it out.

He is wrong, and if you truely believe what you said so are you.

Tell you what dumbass. Go take a look at picks of NY city before and after 9-11-01.

Anger. Fear. Hatred.

These are not tools for rational decission making.

More telling pictures are not the pictures of the city. A city is nothing. The pictures that said the most to me were the pictures that crying people were carrying around the streets.

New Yorkers looking for loved ones - when you know most - if not all are going to be... I was going to say disappointed... by that isn't a strong enough word.

And you know what stuck in my mind. People in other countries doing the exact same thing. Sometimes after natural disasters. Sometimes terrorist attacks. Sometimes military action.

It never seemed real then. There were subtitles or a v.o. saying what they were saying, it seemed remote, reading the words, or hearing the translation wasn't the same has hearing the real voice.

I knoew nothing about the cities touched before. Probably never seen "before" pictures. Often never heard of or never been able to pronouce the city's name. I'll admit I've never been to NY, or America. But 75% of our TV is American TV. I watch Letterman, Friends, Sex In The City, Seinfeld... it seems more real than these other places.

And America has more cameras. We saw everything. We hardly ever get that with the other things.

But the other things happen. They are real. People die everyday.

And a hell of a lot of these people are killed with American supplied weapons and by American supported countries.

The people with the photos want to know why they have lost people. Why America would do that to them. Some want revenge.

In NY the same thing happens. People with photos want to know why. Some want revenge.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't want revenge. That it's not natural to want to hurt others as you've been hurt.

But it won't stop. Not by continuing the cycle. Not by creating more people with photos. Not by creating more dead.

Tell me there is no justification for the US trying to stop that.

It won't stop it.

Show it. Do so completely. No more of your half assed accusations. Back it up or fuck off.

I never said that what was done to America was right. I clearly stated it that it was wrong. Very wrong.

I just said to continue the cycle is just as wrong. That the people who did this felt just as justified as you do now.

Paul \"Duggy\" Duggan
Stupid violent people see that as a reason to fight back. People will get killed. Families will lose loved ones. Friends will lose friends.

Wes Hutchings
The difference is do you want us to commit suicide or not? Pick one.

There are many ways to commit suicide. Standing in the line of fire shooting back is one of them.

Paul \"Duggy\" Duggan
More and more angry people will see America as the enemy. Stupid violent ones will attack American targets.

Wes Hutchings
Which they've already been doing.

Exactly. For the reasons stated.

You seem to think Suicide is the answer.

You seem to think that making things worse is.

If you want that option, then go for it. Walk into Afghanistan singing Give Peace a Chance.

Why walk into Afghanistan? It isn't my country. It is someone elses. Why do I have to be involved?

I don't. Unless I make myself part of it. Much like the US has done.

Paul \"Duggy\" Duggan
Serial killers and others like that? What have they got to do with it.

Wes Hutchings
Show the distinction between them and those who stole an aircraft to kill themselves and everyone on board.

Serial killers don't do it for revenge.

Paul \"Duggy\" Duggan
The terrorists that we are discussing have a cause, a reason, a justification.

Wes Hutchings
Show it.

I have. I don't agree with it. But then I don't agree with people using the Twin Towers as a justification for retaliation.

I accept neither, and see people (from either side) who only accept one as being hypocritical.

Paul \"Duggy\" Duggan
Whether it be right or wrong it's still for a reason.

Wes Hutchings
Hypocrite to the core.

No. I acknowledge that they have a "reason" that they think "justifies" their action.

I don't accept it.

That is not hypocritical.

It's alright for them to kill for their reasons, but not for us to put and to it for our reasons.

I never said that. In fact I repeatedly said the opposite. I, quite frankly want you to appologise for saying that.

Now.

We're higher on the food chain.

Paul \"Duggy\" Duggan
Gee, with thinking like that it makes it hard to see why is America painted as a tyrant in the countries of it's enemies and cultural imperialists in the countries of it's friends.

Wes Hutchings
And the hypocrite strikes again.

No. You made what I hope was a stupidly exagerated comment - which actually fits how many view your country. I remarked that that sort of thing only helps people see it that way. Where is the hypocracy?

Give the reason your nation denied the refugees.

Because they didn't "go through the proper channels" which means they didn't wait in Pakistan to be processed, they instead went purchased plane tickets to Indonesia, then paid to be illegally taken to America, but were in the process of being taken to Australia instead.

Once again, I disagree with my country's stand.

Note ours still gives their country humanitarian aid.

So does ours... or perhaps they stopped a month ago when Australian nationals were arrested and possibly sentenced to death for preaching Christianity.

Note they kill us for kicks.

No. Unless you are once again changing the object without notification "they" is "Afghanistan". The only thing Afghanistan has been shown to have done is to hide the possible "mastermind" behind the attack.

You are confusing a person in the country with the country and the population. Again.

And it wasn't "for kicks".

We kill to stop one group from indiscriminately killing another. You apparently vote for suicide.

No. I'm saying to stop the terrorists through non-violent means. It well stop this thing esculating into another form of suicide.

Paul \"Duggy\" Duggan
I never claimed that not violent methods were wrong.

Wes Hutchings
No, you claimed the US knew no other way and was going to use only violence.

No, I claimed that violence was not the answer. I never made any claim about it being the only option open the the US.

In this circumstance it is people like you reacting without brains.

Paul \"Duggy\" Duggan
By advising caution?

Wes Hutchings
No by not realizing we're using caution.

You should be using more.

Paul \"Duggy\" Duggan
I'm arguing against certain causes of action. If they don't happen I'm happy. If they were never planned by the US government I'm even happier. But they have been suggested, and I disagree with them

Wes Hutchings
You are not stating your objections against possible actions, you are stating them against what you consider defined wrongs that WILL happen because the US knows no other way.

No.

Paul \"Duggy\" Duggan
You ignore the fact that America has done it

Wes Hutchings
Supply a fucking noun. Are you discussing the past? Specify a fucking event then dipshit.

The last attack on bin Laden.

Paul \"Duggy\" Duggan
Deploying the military in something called "Infinite Justice" doesn't sound non-violent.

Wes Hutchings
Perhaps the nation down under wants to commit suicide. I doubt it. The US has no such policy.

Australia doesn't. Which is why our military leaders are now saying that while they support the PMs offer of support, they'd like to know what that means, and would like to think that the US wasn't going over-react.

They don't want us to commit suicide by escualting things.

--- - Dug. --- "May you live in interesting times." ---