SubjectRe: spreadsheet ergonomics
Message-ID<D514E257.9ED7F%usenet@gallopinginsanity.com>
FollowsSilver-Tongued Heel

On 4/13/17, 5:51 AM, in article 1vKHA.1551$2S2.1173@fx15.iad, "Silver-Tongued Heel" <sl@im.er>wrote:

Silver-Tongued Heel
What year was this? I still have trouble accepting that people actually got work done on those 8-bit machines. They seemed fairly useless.

Marek Novotny
You could learn to program in basic back then. On the Commodore 64 basic was the command line.

Chris Ahlstrom
I bought an assembly language cartridge to play with 6502 assembler.

Only played with for awhile, before I bought an Atari ST, which is my most nostalgic computer. I used that for BBS access, games, and a lot of work with MIDI. Even a little C programming.

Silver-Tongued Heel
In what year did you essentially abandon it and why? The reason I'm asking is because there's a guy on YouTube who does these experiments to see if archaic computers could still be used as a main PC today. The Atari ST fared surprisingly well despite its obvious limitations.

Chris Ahlstrom
Soldered additional memory chips piggy-back to double its RAM to 1 Meg.

Silver-Tongued Heel
You did this yourself? I'd be scared to death of damaging something.

With my old Apple IIgs I did not solder anything on it but I did have to use cardboard between the cards to keep it from shorting out. Had a card with a "daughter" card on it (memory... got me up to a whopping 4 1/4 MB RAM!) and a card with a hard drive (170 MB). They had to have something between each other and also something between them and the side of the case.

-- Personal attacks from those who troll show their own insecurity. They cannot use reason to show the message to be wrong so they try to feel somehow superior by attacking the messenger.

<https://youtu.be/H4NW-Cqh308>