Message-ID<D5099182.9CC91%usenet@gallopinginsanity.com>
Followsowl
Followupsowl (41m) > Snit

On 4/4/17, 3:42 PM, in article av9z00.bhddi@rooftop.invalid, "owl" <owl@rooftop.invalid>wrote:

Snit
Will play with it later... thanks. Looking at it just briefly, though, I see where it is six files (compressed) and for most users would just lead to confusion. I assume I need change permissions on startem, startemx, and ud... and then run startem?

owl
The perms should already show as executable.

Snit
Ah. In some ways that is good... but also a security risk.

owl
Nope. It does not auto-execute, and the source is there for you to peruse in advance of running it.

That does not eliminate security risks. But we hear time and time again, with reason, how it is good to have it where you need to set permissions to run a "random" program. But it turns out you do not have to do that.

On macOS, for what it is worth, it warns you that this is the first time you are opening the file and has you jump through hoops... even tells you the source (what program you got it from, etc.).

Interesting Linux does not offer such protections. I would have thought it would.

Unlike with Numbers. Who knows what that Numbers does behind the scenes. You choose to trust a corporation that refuses to cooperate with law enforcement.

So you have no concern running scripts from any source.

I think that is absurd.

-- Personal attacks from those who troll show their own insecurity. They cannot use reason to show the message to be wrong so they try to feel somehow superior by attacking the messenger.

<https://youtu.be/H4NW-Cqh308>

owl (41m) > Snit