Message-ID<D50AC89A.9CF48%usenet@gallopinginsanity.com>
Followsowl
Followupsowl (56m) > Snit

On 4/5/17, 3:52 PM, in article ahzjb3ga.y@rooftop.invalid, "owl" <owl@rooftop.invalid>wrote:

owl
That's all presentation. How are tables and sheets "very different"? For that matter, how are they different in any way?

Snit
A sheet can have zero, one, or more tables. Again, this is in Numbers... not saying it should in sc, but as we compare the two we need to realize we mean different things by "sheets" but mostly the same by "tables".

owl
That's all presentation. Nothing to do with functionality.

There is a huge overlap in those two thing... it is not either / or. Part of the functionality comes from how it is presented.

Snit
Without making a new video to go into details, look at what I already posted:

<https://youtu.be/VzVKlou6byU>

The five tables I am working with: Range, Time, Force, Mana, and Total

All of those are on one sheet: Kids RPG Rules - Magic System

owl
All of those "tables" could have their functionality duplicated anywhere on the sheet.

I would love to see you demonstrate that. Feel free to modify the online spreadsheet as much as you want or to copy data from it or create it from scratch.

owl
Other than positioning and presentation, what is the difference between a table and a sheet in Numbers?

Snit
A sheet need not have a table at all... where a table, well, always has a table. :)

owl
So you can't name a functional difference.

There are different meanings of the word, function, too... so we could look at "functions" such as SUM and MAX, or the overall function of each table.

* Function of the "Range" table: calculate the partial cost of a spell based on "Range", which consists of adding the values assigned to the size of the target, the distance from the caster, and the speed and movement of the effect. Not sure what the "Sum / Perc = -2" means and I am not going to bug folks to find out. :)

* Function of the "Time" table: calculate the partial cost of a spell based on "Time", which consists of adding the values assigned to the cast time, duration, and delay until the effect happens.

* Function of the "Force" table: calculate the partial cost of a spell based on "Force", which consists of adding the values assigned to the Effects, Elements, and Mass / Volume of what is effected. Details of this are in the text (which serves the function of explanation).

* Function of the "Mana" table: calculate the partial cost of a spell based on "Mana", which consists of *multiplying* the values assigned to the Essence (which can be impacted by the values of the above tables: Range, Time, and Force) and "Amount".

*Function of the "Total" table: Find the total cost of the magic spell by adding the costs from the above tables (Range, Time, Force, and Mana) and then rounding it to the closest five. It also summarizes the input of the other tables.

Each table has a separate, logical function (even though some of the tables use data from others). Makes complete, logical sense to split them... not just as presentation (which it makes sense to do as well) but logically / functionally.

Snit
It is sort of like asking what the difference is between text and a word processor: a word processor can handle text (and more, including images and one or more text boxes) but you can also have text in other type of programs (text editors, spread sheets, web browsers, etc.).

owl
No it's not. A word processor actually does more with the text, the data. A table has no less or more capability with the data than does a sheet.

A single table cannot be separate tables with different logical / functional purposes, though, of course, you can have one table that combines multiple functions.

They both do the exact same thing.

You can say ALL data does the same thing... adds 1s and 0s, or on and off states, to some media. I suppose it just depends on what level of abstraction you can think in.

As I show above, each of the tables in the real-world example has a separate and distinct and logical function. But, sure, you can put those all into one larger table and LOSE that logical separation (and end up with a lesser visual separation). No matter how you do it, though, you end up with on and off states on some media... so they are, at that level, "functionally" the same... just stored data.

Thankfully modern computers allow us to have higher levels of abstraction without requiring us to think of such things, though!

-- Personal attacks from those who troll show their own insecurity. They cannot use reason to show the message to be wrong so they try to feel somehow superior by attacking the messenger.

<https://youtu.be/H4NW-Cqh308>

owl (56m) > Snit