Message-ID<D50CAB9B.9D6D0%usenet@gallopinginsanity.com>
FollowsSnit
FollowupsSnit (3m) > Snit

On 4/7/17, 1:12 AM, in article D50C97F9.9D6C5%usenet@gallopinginsanity.com, "Snit" <usenet@gallopinginsanity.com>wrote:

Snit
On 4/4/17, 7:05 PM, in article javz903.abu@rooftop.invalid, "owl" <owl@rooftop.invalid>wrote:

I have repeatedly answered.

And it is now clear you will NEVER show something similar to this, but using your tools:

<https://youtu.be/YfvQb8cxTBg>

Creating, from scratch and zero preparation (other than to have a program open and I can show that if you want!), multiple tables (some on the same sheet and others not) and where the cells of any one table can reference the cells of another... and just for fun an added chart. Whole thing (again, with no preparation or pre-set scripting or anything else prepared for the task) is about a minute.

Not shown, I admit, I shared it so you or anyone else could work with that spreadsheet (though I could have it also tied to specific users or passwords).

Now, of course, the tables I show there are just for demo purposes -- it is not like that has any real-world value other then educational, so I also shared this:

<https://youtu.be/VzVKlou6byU>

More complex tables with combined cells and more complex formulas (though still no major number crunching or the like), and I show the value of having the multiple tables and color coding of formula references and more. I would NOT expect you to recreate something like that just to show in COLA... it would take more time than I would reasonably expect you to do.

But with the first one, hey, it is a minute or two and -- BOOM -- done. Not like it is a big deal. Also, of course, you are under no obligation to do so, but given the time you have spent showing how you can have related tables and the like I think it is safe to say your tools simply do not allow for that type of work.

And, again, nothing wrong with that. Heck, there are MANY spreadsheet tasks where Numbers SUCKS. So, again, not putting you or sc down in any way... just good to see what each does well.

Hey, maybe you can show some of the spreadsheet tasks you think sc handles well... I am sure there are many you can think of where Numbers and even Excel would just suck at.

owl
How long does it take in Numbers to create a sheet with 52000 tables with locked formulas and labels (A-Z with 2000 tables in each column, each table with a label{#} at the top, and a sum the bottom, summing 10 rows)? And how long does it take to navigate to a specific such table?

2.57 seconds here with sc.

Snit
Ah, looking back to where you changed the topic and now re-viewing your video. Seems you mean ONE table with 26 columns and 2000 rows.

With yours you have many sums being made... I might fiddle and add that, but even having just ONE sum per column, and no locking of anything (Numbers does not even let me lock individual cells), and no added labels, it STILL took 4 seconds on my machine.

That sounds like it is pretty close to yours, BUT I am sure if I added the additional inclusion of formulas it would take it MUCH longer. Might fiddle with it at some point to see if I can do that... but even with my doing a subset of what you did (and given the formulas you have, a fairly small subset), Numbers took longer:

<https://youtu.be/bI-zgxFjijk>

Ok, played some more and, frankly, am shocked at how close I am getting to what you have (which does not mean I have equaled it). What I have:

* columns: 26 * rows: 2000 * sums: every 10 rows for each column

What I do NOT have * Locked formulas (no such feature in Numbers) * Quick navigation (ubsrd that Numbers does not have that... though I have scroll bars) * Labels on the top of each column. Might be able to do that... did not try

But my time: 22 second (compared to your 2.57). So I am still MUCH slower than you but, damn, I did not expect to get ANYWHERE near that.

<https://youtu.be/a3ifmy150Xw>

To be clear: you and sc are CLEARLY still blowing me and Numbers out of the water here... and I do not think it is merely my ignorance of scripting (though if I could get fill down to work as well as fill right *maybe* I could match your times?... just does not seem to want to work from scripting).

-- Personal attacks from those who troll show their own insecurity. They cannot use reason to show the message to be wrong so they try to feel somehow superior by attacking the messenger.

<https://youtu.be/H4NW-Cqh308>

Snit (3m) > Snit