Re: spreadsheet ergonomics

owl
SubjectRe: spreadsheet ergonomics
Fromowl
Date04/08/2017 04:11 (04/08/2017 02:11)
Message-ID<0hjz030ga.by@rooftop.invalid>
FollowsSnit
FollowupsSnit (1h & 35m)

Snit <usenet@gallopinginsanity.com>wrote:

Snit
On 4/7/17, 6:41 PM, in article phzu9v03.abyy3@rooftop.invalid, "owl" <owl@rooftop.invalid>wrote:

owl
in original format (26 columns, 2000 tables per column, summing

Snit
26 columns. Yes. But you do not have 2000 tables per column.

owl
Yes I do.

Snit
Not in your images or videos. You show ONE table.

owl
964 MB sc file 25 seconds to generate 40 seconds to open 2 seconds to jump from table 0 to table 1403999

Snit
Presumably: 2 seconds to jump to A1 to ZZ27986 (or whatever) in your one table.

owl
No, the jump is to "table 1403999".

Snit
While you show the text "table 1403999", what it shows is that text being in cell ZZ27986 of the one table.

owl
The command in sc is:

g "1403999

Snit
So you have named your ranges. Cool.

owl
http://imgur.com/a/5saYA

Snit
What you have listed as "table 1403999" is at cell ZZ27986 of your one table.

But this does lead to a good question: in your tables you have logical units of meaning which are not inherent in the table structure itself (other than as ranges). This is common. Do such units have a common name? Calling them "tables" is clearly incorrect. But what is a good name for such a set of ranges?

owl
Any set of tabular data can be considered a table. When you create a table in Numbers, if you do not use the entire maximum column and row limits, do you say that it is not a table?

Snit
Do I say the table is not a table? Um, no. That would be silly. But I do not claim that different parts of the same table are different tables, as you do.

owl
Of course you don't.

Snit
Right: I call a table a table, not a range in a table a table.

owl
But how can it be a table if you're not maxing it out?

Snit
A shoe is a shoe even when your foot is not in it. A sole of a shoe does not become a shoe, though, even if you reference it as one.

owl
That seems to be what you're saying.

Snit
Not even slightly. I mean, really, it is not even remotely connected to anything I said. Hey, I said you said something about rows you did not (though understandably I was confused by your lack of proper terminology)... here you are claiming I am saying something I never did. OK. Good test to see if you are as honest as I am.

owl
So given that it *is* still a table without using the all the cells, how does that subset of the maximum cells anchored at A0 differ from any other subset?

Snit
Assuming you mean: Given it is a table how does one range differ from another? If so it is because they are different ranges... in the case of what you are referring to they are not even overlapping ranges.

If that is NOT what you mean then I would need you to explain what you are even trying to say.

You seem to have a density problem.

<quote> From WordNet (r) 3.0 (2006) [wn]:

table n 1: a set of data arranged in rows and columns; "see table 1" [syn: {table}, {tabular array}]

</quote>

Snit (1h & 35m)