Re: spreadsheet ergonomics

Steve Carroll
SubjectRe: spreadsheet ergonomics
FromSteve Carroll
Date04/13/2017 00:10 (04/12/2017 15:10)
Message-ID<c9704c5d-f54c-4ee8-8514-a485573251da@googlegroups.com>
FollowsSilver-Tongued Heel

On Wednesday, April 12, 2017 at 3:47:09 PM UTC-6, Silver-Tongued Heel wrote:

Silver-Tongued Heel
On 2017-04-12 1:42 PM, Steve Carroll wrote:

Steve Carroll
On Wednesday, April 12, 2017 at 10:24:46 AM UTC-6, DFS wrote:

DFS

Melzzzzz
On 2017-04-12, DFS <nospam@dfs.com>wrote:

DFS
On 4/12/2017 8:33 AM, Melzzzzz wrote:

Melzzzzz
then again, not until 1994 I really start to enjoy computers...

DFS
Why not? I enjoyed DOS programs from '85 to '91 or so: Norton Commander, Javelin, Lotus 1-2-3, dBase, Paradox, Norton Utilities...

And then a little later came Doom and Heretic and Hexen.

Melzzzzz
I couldn't afford PC in that time...

DFS
Yeah, they were expensive back then. I think my Dad gave me my first PC (an 8086).

Today USD 1500 will get you a nice PC. That's 174758 RSD. Will that buy you a good system over there? Is that expensive relative to rent and food and gasoline?

Steve Carroll
I worked with PCs but I wanted an Apple. They were initially too expensive so I waited until the IIe came down to around $1500.00, which was still a bit of $$ back then.

Silver-Tongued Heel
What year was this?

Early to mid 80s, I think it was '84.

I still have trouble accepting that people actually got work done on those 8-bit machines. They seemed fairly useless.

They were useful. As an example pertinent to the business I was in at the time... I worked QA/QC in Silicon Valley, as a result I was familiar with a number of job-shops I had to frequent for onsite inspection. We made semi-conductor related quartz products, which one of these shops was laser drilling for us, they used the IIe to move the head. It worked well... but it was a system that's probably best described as a poor man's CNC ;)