Re: spreadsheet ergonomics

owl
SubjectRe: spreadsheet ergonomics
Fromowl
Date04/06/2017 21:09 (04/06/2017 19:09)
Message-ID<ab23gka.9@rooftop.invalid>
FollowsSnit
FollowupsSnit (13m) > owl

Snit <usenet@gallopinginsanity.com>wrote:

Snit
On 4/6/17, 10:56 AM, in article aiboo3u0bo.3jau@rooftop.invalid, "owl" <owl@rooftop.invalid>wrote:

owl
Snit <usenet@gallopinginsanity.com>wrote:

Snit
On 4/6/17, 5:38 AM, in article ahcjz93.g88b@rooftop.invalid, "owl" <owl@rooftop.invalid>wrote:

owl
DFS <nospam@dfs.com>wrote:

DFS
On 4/5/2017 10:01 PM, DFS wrote:

ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "=SUM(R[-10]C:R[-1]C)"

Whoops. Make that "=SUM(R[-9]C:R[-1]C)"

http://imgur.com/a/NHHS7

owl
Is there not a way to feed it a count instead of just seeing how many it can create in 15 seconds?

Snit
Just for the fun of it I looked up a script for creating and populating a table in Numbers: <https://iworkautomation.com/numbers/table-populate.html>

I ran the first script on the page, unedited. It does not do what yours does but I think it makes the point. While there are certainly ways to speed the script up, such as not having it create random numbers, not watching the results as it runs, not aligning the data, etc., I think we can safely say both sc and Excel kick Number's ass on this one. :)

<https://youtu.be/l43rtWFrq38>

Impressive, eh?

owl
Have it just create a few one-column tables with a sum formula an don't bother with populating the cells. That should give a better comparison.

Snit
With quick fiddling could not get it to create a one column table (!) but here is what I came up with. Can change the number of rows and tables if you want.

<https://youtu.be/KhsSa77CTUo>

With only 10 rows being made it does it with a blindingly fast half second or so per table. Wow! Beat that! :)

Then re-read your request and stopped populating the cells:

<https://youtu.be/hznjYcr1Kjc>

Still, for just 10 tables it took more than a second. Hardly anything to brag about!

Just work with one of Number's "tables" and add pseudo tables to it.

Snit (13m) > owl