Re: spreadsheet ergonomics

owl
SubjectRe: spreadsheet ergonomics
Fromowl
Date04/02/2017 22:41 (04/02/2017 20:41)
Message-ID<sb00zb.dheu3@rooftop.invalid>
FollowsChris Ahlstrom
FollowupsSnit (16m)

Chris Ahlstrom <OFeem1987@teleworm.us>wrote:

Chris Ahlstrom
owl wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

owl
Chris Ahlstrom <OFeem1987@teleworm.us>wrote:

Chris Ahlstrom
owl wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

owl
https://vid.me/UgNo

Spread your work out how you want it with sc. There are two views of the main sheet (green), and two sets (yellow and blue) of other sheets. Data enterened into any of the auxilliary sheets gets totaled and sent to the main sheet.

Chris Ahlstrom
Pretty cool. I assume you're using pipes to communicate between the sc's?

owl
Sort of. I use @ext() mostly along with an update script that sends "@" to the window.

Example:

In main.sc, you might have

let F9 = @ston(@ext("sc -Wb16:b16 /home/anon/code/sc/otherin3.sc 2>/dev/null",0))

Then in the update script, there would be:

xdotool type --window <windowid>"@"

where <windowid>is the window id of the xterm running the main.sc

You can get the window id like this (the sleep is usually necessary, and varies with load time for whatever app):

anon@lowtide:~/code/sc$ cat testy #!/bin/bash xterm -title boo & sleep .25 windowid=$(xwininfo -tree -root |grep boo |awk '{print $1}') echo ${windowid} anon@lowtide:~/code/sc$

Chris Ahlstrom
Here's an interestic fork of sc:

https://github.com/andmarti1424/sc-im

owl
I tried out one fork of sc (not sure if that was it) and it turned out to be really buggy. I do like the idea that people are adding features to this great program.

Chris Ahlstrom
Cool stuff. I wonder if one can use Put function to write data to stdout, redirected to a named pipe (created by mkfifo) that the other instance(s) of sc would read from.

Don't really have time to experiment right now, though.

Getting the sc syntax right for a fifo is one of the things that has been stumping me. I'm still working on it.

Snit (16m)