Message-ID<D509A8AF.9CCC8%usenet@gallopinginsanity.com>
Followsowl
Followupsowl (58m) > Snit

On 4/4/17, 7:15 PM, in article ax8002.bue3@rooftop.invalid, "owl" <owl@rooftop.invalid>wrote:

Interesting Linux does not offer such protections. I would have thought it would.

owl
That's for downloaded files.

Snit
Which is what I did... downloaded them.

owl
No, you downloaded a tarball that contained those files.

So in your mind when you download a tarball you are not downloading the contents of it? Interesting perspective. Just so you can see how macOS protects you from such things:

<https://youtu.be/4_8Coa1UXp0>

I am pretty sure for the first time I downloaded it I was not even given the option to say "OK" -- had to right-click and select open (there are also other methods). Could be macOS recognizes it as the same file? But then why show the dialog at all? Maybe I missed it -- do not think so.

I did not think Linux had the same type of protection as macOS here... not sure why I was thinking the permissions would be changed. My mistake on that.

owl
As you can see, the perms *are* changed, so I'm not sure what you're saying here.

I mean the files in the tarball. I figured, incorrectly, that the permissions would not allow people to so easily accidently run arbitrary code. Really I should have known better.

Unlike with Numbers. Who knows what that Numbers does behind the scenes. You choose to trust a corporation that refuses to cooperate with law enforcement.

Snit
So you have no concern running scripts from any source.

owl
I never said that.

Snit
Whew. And as we have seen it would be unwise to take your advice on a "real" system... the risk of lost data is real simply to rename files.

owl
No, what we have seen is that it would be unwise to hire you to write up a specification.

I incorrectly assumed common sense from you... another mistake on my part. Sure.

-- Personal attacks from those who troll show their own insecurity. They cannot use reason to show the message to be wrong so they try to feel somehow superior by attacking the messenger.

<https://youtu.be/H4NW-Cqh308>

owl (58m) > Snit