Message-ID<D5048DC1.992DC%usenet@gallopinginsanity.com>
Followsowl
Followupsowl (3h & 32m) > Snit

On 3/31/17, 10:22 PM, in article 00b90q.ah33@rooftop.invalid, "owl" <owl@rooftop.invalid>wrote:

owl
Snit <usenet@gallopinginsanity.com>wrote:

Snit
On 3/31/17, 4:19 PM, in article ablaico3.ss@rooftop.invalid, "owl" <owl@rooftop.invalid>wrote:

owl
Snit <usenet@gallopinginsanity.com>wrote:

Snit
On 3/31/17, 4:48 AM, in article ab003g.hi4@rooftop.invalid, "owl" <owl@rooftop.invalid>wrote:

owl
https://vid.me/UgNo Spread your work out how you want it with sc. There are two views of the main sheet (green), and two sets (yellow and blue) of other sheets. Data enterened into any of the auxilliary sheets gets totaled and sent to the main sheet.

Snit
Right... you can have related tables, but you can only have one table per window, right? You cannot, for example, have someone open a page and get something like this (hmmm, though I had an old video of this... maybe not, so made a new one):

<https://youtu.be/V2bRLDuaVOk>

owl
We've been over the embedding of windows in X11. xterm has it as an option, and xdotool allows it for most any window. Of course, this is window embedding, not document embedding, but you can simulate document embedding by using a frame and sizing/positioning the embedded window to the frame, then having text appear to wrap around the embedded window by wrapping around the frame.

Snit
Right, you can do some rather extreme and bizarre work arounds to get similar end results... sort of.

owl
Nothing bizarre about it at all. It's not much different from your embedded tables, which are also in frames (or whatever Apple calls the containers).

https://vid.me/Al6B

A cool, weird, and somewhat bizarre work around.

Oh, Apple calls them "tables"... because they are, you know, tables. :)

That's the main.sc sheet from earlier, now embedded in a scribus window, and taking data from the other sheets. Editing the other sheets shows those updates in the scribus sc window. Both local and remote editing demonstrated.

It is pretty cool how even in different files they can be connected.

Printed docs are static anyway, so it doesn't matter how you get to the result. Documents shared for editing can just share the whole process if necessary.

As opposed to sharing a file or even sharing it online (though I think someone needs to have an icloud.com account to use it).

Snit
Again, though, nothing wrong with sc and while Numbers does plenty it does not, sc is a MUCH more powerful tool for "real" number crunching (as is even Excel).

owl
Why do you say that?

Numbers does not handle very large tables, lacks some functions and formatting, does not allow to lock specific ranges or cells as Excel does (do not know if sc does that but I would not be surprised if it did not), has less robust import tools, etc. It does have some pretty cool other features, and what it does it does (mostly) well, but it simply is not as complete of a solution. I can show you some of the oddities I have seen with referencing cells from other "sheets" from the same document... still works but has some graphical oddities.

Started to make a video showing some of what I mean... got interrupted by my 9 year old coming to my office to ask me about other stuff... talked to her as I finished the video and then helped her as it was uploading. Did not even bother to redo the video so lot so me just fiddling around but it is only 2:16

<https://youtu.be/pVA0efp0gb8>

Shows me using a real, but very simple, spreadsheet I had open then using a template then one from scratch where I have one table reference another. Do not show different sheets in the same file but that works much as it does in MS Office and LibreOffice.

-- Personal attacks from those who troll show their own insecurity. They cannot use reason to show the message to be wrong so they try to feel somehow superior by attacking the messenger.

owl (3h & 32m) > Snit