Re: spreadsheet ergonomics

Marek Novotny
SubjectRe: spreadsheet ergonomics
FromMarek Novotny
Date04/13/2017 14:24 (04/13/2017 07:24)
Message-ID<_Omdnf-lr4th8HLFnZ2dnUU7-L_NnZ2d@giganews.com>
FollowsChris Ahlstrom

On 2017-04-13, Chris Ahlstrom <OFeem1987@teleworm.us>wrote:

Chris Ahlstrom

Marek Novotny
On 2017-04-12, Steve Carroll <fretwizzer@gmail.com>wrote:

// snip

Steve Carroll
I worked with PCs but I wanted an Apple. They were initially too expensive so I waited until the IIe came down to around $1500.00, which was still a bit of $$ back then.

Marek Novotny
I wanted an Apple ][ as well. I got to use one very briefly in the seventh grade. I saved up for a Commodore VIC-20 which I didn't like too much.

Chris Ahlstrom
Why not? Except for less memory and fewer characters per line, it was a C-64? :-)

That screen was the problem. It was something like 25 x 19. And I thought 40 x 24 was bad. Even the Timex Sinclair 1000 had a better character display than the VIC-20. If the VIC had the same character display as the C=64 I would have liked it a lot more.

Marek Novotny
Later I got the Commodore 64 which I have to say turned out to be fantastic. I consider my time on the Commie 64 to be a golden era. It was so fun. I had a modem, a terminal, ran a BBS on it and met a ton of people from all over the world on that little cheap box.

Chris Ahlstrom
Meet any trolls on your Commode-Ore? :-D

I was on Fido-Net I think at the time as RUN-READY I think. Not sure what my handle was at that time. But I remember getting into it against some IBM PC XT guy. He was right but I didn't like the way he called my C=64 a toy. But he was right. It was a toy compared to his IBM. I have envy for his character display though. I got to use on in high school and very much wanted a PC / DOS box. It would about seven more years until I'd get my hands on one. But the C=64 I have to say was a fine machine to grow up with. Those are fond memories. I had a lot of fun with that setup. I did everything.

-- Marek Novotny https://github.com/marek-novotny