Message-ID<D50AEDDC.9CF8A%usenet@gallopinginsanity.com>
Followsowl
Followupsowl (7m) > Snit

On 4/5/17, 6:46 PM, in article avz89c3.ajvic@rooftop.invalid, "owl" <owl@rooftop.invalid>wrote:

owl
Snit <usenet@gallopinginsanity.com>wrote:

Snit
On 4/5/17, 5:08 PM, in article lazv90g.ab@rooftop.invalid, "owl" <owl@rooftop.invalid>wrote:

owl
Snit <usenet@gallopinginsanity.com>wrote:

Snit
On 4/5/17, 1:39 PM, in article azkci893a.a@rooftop.invalid, "owl" <owl@rooftop.invalid>wrote:

owl
So "duplicate" makes a duplicate but doesn't delete the original, and "save as" creates a copy and doesn't delete the original; but "duplicate" and "save as" "do different things." Granny is confused.

Snit
First, with no sarcasm or insult, I commend you for admitting to an area of computing you are ignorant about. All too often in COLA people see that as a weakness and refuse to do so. You have little experience with such systems... and even if you did you still might not know.

But before we get to the differences, I want to make sure you realize that we are now talking about multiple features here:

* Renaming a file (which can be done open or not) * Moving a file (which can be done open or not) * Labeling a file (which can be done open or not) * Duplicating a file (which can be done open or not) * Saving a file (which can only be done if open) * Saving as a new file (which can only be done if open)

owl
What is the difference between "duplicating" an open file and "save as"?

Snit
Again, happy to answer but first want to make sure you are clear of the basics: NEITHER is the same as moving, renaming, or labeling of a file. That is what we were discussing before you moved the topic to Duplicating vs. Save / Save As.

owl
Again, no answer.

Snit
I spoke about features A, B, and C. You moved goal posts to features D and E (which are closely tied with F). You want to know how D and E are different. Fine. But since you moved goal posts to those features and did so in a way that suggested you did not understand you moved goal posts I want to make sure you understand before we delve into your side topic.

I have asked you multiple times and you are just lost. So be it. You are lost.

owl
Just face it. Apple screwed up an put in differently named menu items that do the same thing.

Snit
Nope. Not the case at all, but I accept YOU do not understand the difference and are ignorant enough of basic file tasks where you show no understanding you even jumped topics.

So, AGAIN, do you understand that renaming and moving and labeling a file (what we were first talking about) are DIFFERENT features than the Saving and Duplicating files (the topics you jumped to). If no, which it seems, then I am happy to explain the difference. If yes, though, then we can jump forward on your side issue.

Not putting you down for thread drift. Not putting you down for not understanding features you do no use. But for crying out loud, if you are going to ask questions then be open with what you do and do not know so we do not end up in the type of circus this is becoming.

owl
So you're not going to answer.

I already have multiple times, including above. If you care to stop pushing your circus here and have a conversation I am open to it. If not let us end this discussion here.

And the reason is obvious. "Duplicate" an open file means the exact same thing as "Save As..."

For folks such as you who show not understanding of either, no less why they are different than renaming and moving a file, sure. Once you understand why these two are different than the topics we were discussing, though, you will be ready to understand how they are different. But you are not interested in that, so, sure, for someone at a novice level who cannot understand such things and is confused by all of this, yes, they are FUNCTIONALLY the same... unusable.

They may as well have had menu items for tables and sheets.

They who? You keep jumping topics from one thing to the other... showing very poor understanding or desire to even learn. So be it.

Hey, call Marek into the conversation... I bet he will be happy to join you in mocking me over his ignorance over these topics. :)

-- Personal attacks from those who troll show their own insecurity. They cannot use reason to show the message to be wrong so they try to feel somehow superior by attacking the messenger.

<https://youtu.be/H4NW-Cqh308>

owl (7m) > Snit