Re: spreadsheet ergonomics

Silver-Tongued Heel
SubjectRe: spreadsheet ergonomics
FromSilver-Tongued Heel
Date04/13/2017 14:51 (04/13/2017 08:51)
Message-ID<1vKHA.1551$2S2.1173@fx15.iad>
FollowsChris Ahlstrom
FollowupsSnit (2h & 16m)

On 2017-04-13 5:42 AM, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

Chris Ahlstrom

Marek Novotny

Silver-Tongued Heel
On 2017-04-12 1:42 PM, Steve Carroll wrote:

Steve Carroll
On Wednesday, April 12, 2017 at 10:24:46 AM UTC-6, DFS wrote:

DFS

Melzzzzz
On 2017-04-12, DFS <nospam@dfs.com>wrote:

DFS
On 4/12/2017 8:33 AM, Melzzzzz wrote:

Melzzzzz
then again, not until 1994 I really start to enjoy computers...

DFS
Why not? I enjoyed DOS programs from '85 to '91 or so: Norton Commander, Javelin, Lotus 1-2-3, dBase, Paradox, Norton Utilities...

And then a little later came Doom and Heretic and Hexen.

Melzzzzz
I couldn't afford PC in that time...

DFS
Yeah, they were expensive back then. I think my Dad gave me my first PC (an 8086).

Today USD 1500 will get you a nice PC. That's 174758 RSD. Will that buy you a good system over there? Is that expensive relative to rent and food and gasoline?

Steve Carroll
I worked with PCs but I wanted an Apple. They were initially too expensive so I waited until the IIe came down to around $1500.00, which was still a bit of $$ back then.

Silver-Tongued Heel
What year was this? I still have trouble accepting that people actually got work done on those 8-bit machines. They seemed fairly useless.

Marek Novotny
You could learn to program in basic back then. On the Commodore 64 basic was the command line.

Chris Ahlstrom
I bought an assembly language cartridge to play with 6502 assembler.

Only played with for awhile, before I bought an Atari ST, which is my most nostalgic computer. I used that for BBS access, games, and a lot of work with MIDI. Even a little C programming.

In what year did you essentially abandon it and why? The reason I'm asking is because there's a guy on YouTube who does these experiments to see if archaic computers could still be used as a main PC today. The Atari ST fared surprisingly well despite its obvious limitations.

Soldered additional memory chips piggy-back to double its RAM to 1 Meg.

You did this yourself? I'd be scared to death of damaging something.

< snip >

-- Silver Tongued-Heel OpenMedia & EFF Member Gab.ai: @silverslimer

Snit (2h & 16m)