Message-ID<D50DE3B3.9DB34%usenet@gallopinginsanity.com>
Followsvallor
FollowupsSteve Carroll (1d, 9h & 41m)

On 4/8/17, 12:33 AM, in article ekri2uF7851U4@mid.individual.net, "vallor" <vallor@cultnix.org>wrote:

vallor
On Sat, 08 Apr 2017 06:23:59 +0000, owl wrote:

owl
Snit <usenet@gallopinginsanity.com>wrote:

Snit
On 4/7/17, 10:57 PM, in article ahvu003.ak3@rooftop.invalid, "owl" <owl@rooftop.invalid>wrote:

owl

Right... you can sort RANGES. ----- @index(e,r)

Use the value of the expression e to index into the range r. The numeric value at that position is returned. The value 1 selects the first item in the range, 2 selects the second item, etc. R should be either a single row or a single column. -----

owl
I wonder why snipped this part about the index() function:

"With three arguments, the range must come first, and the second and third arguments will then be interpreted as row and column, respectively, for indexing into a two-dimensional table."

I've had enough of your bullshit. Plonk.

vallor
You had the patience of a saint.

Look, another discussion where "advocate" move away from speaking of tech to talk about, well, me. But no obsession with me, right? LOL!

He got made that Numbers did things he could not do with sc. Here is one example:

<https://youtu.be/VzVKlou6byU>

He then moved goal posts to things with sc does well (well, sc and other tools, including his own programs... but so be it). I agreed that Numbers would SUCK for these things... and even went out of my way to show that what he could do in a fraction of a second would take Numbers, as far as I know, several minutes (15 or so) *and* I did not even emulate all he did.

So, yeah, at least from all available evidence, and just the focus of the tools, it is clear they are good for different use-cases. Cool!

But then in describing his work he decided to call ranges "tables" (or, when he realized that was not really right, "pseudo tables") -- doing so merely because Numbers clearly CAN have more than one ACTUAL table per sheet. This was because he was working to deny any weakness of the tools he use.

Comes down to, again, the "advocates" tend to tie their egos to their preferred tools and take it as a personal offense when it is noted those tools, as great as they might be (and nobody has put sc down), are not the BEST tool for all jobs.

I find that world view interesting... and foreign. I tend to use Number or Excel. Each has pros and cons. And of course sc brings another set of pros and cons to the table. No problem by me.

-- Personal attacks from those who troll show their own insecurity. They cannot use reason to show the message to be wrong so they try to feel somehow superior by attacking the messenger.

<https://youtu.be/H4NW-Cqh308>

Steve Carroll (1d, 9h & 41m)