Message-ID<D507F81F.9C861%usenet@gallopinginsanity.com>
Followsowl
Followupsowl (53m) > Snit

On 4/3/17, 12:38 PM, in article hjguc8892a.a@rooftop.invalid, "owl" <owl@rooftop.invalid>wrote:

owl
Snit <usenet@gallopinginsanity.com>wrote:

Snit
On 4/2/17, 9:12 PM, in article z9b003gaew.hy@rooftop.invalid, "owl" <owl@rooftop.invalid>wrote:

owl
You don't have to turn it on at all. That's just to have the data in one table update automatically from changes in another table. If you don't need that, the just move your mouse to the target table and type "@" or enter some data into any cell. The external data will then be automatically calculated.

Snit
But you cannot have BOTH editing of tables and auto-updating.

owl
False. You *can* edit while auto-updating is goin on, but keystrokes get mixed with the "@" that is sent. You could get around that by throttling the update to a slower rate than the 1-second loop I have now.

And then try to type between the updates? And then the updates are not happening in apparent real time, right?

I admit I could be wrong about that... if so I would love to see it.

But all of this setting refresh rates and more is showing what I have been talking about -- it is a kludge to try to do what you can do trivially with other tools (as shown in this video I already posted for you):

<https://youtu.be/V2bRLDuaVOk>

For whatever reason I clicked off of the cells to "finalize" them in the video. Can also hit enter or tab (and other options). No need to even leave the table.

And here is that spreadsheet where you can do what I show right now:

<https://www.icloud.com/numbers/040IoTN2lqc4MhnA0sNpm6zpg#Kids_RPG_Rules_-_M agic_System>OR <https://goo.gl/vOFudM>

And shows a full creation of a much simpler example here:

<https://youtu.be/YfvQb8cxTBg>

Full creation... though I do not show sharing (I can show that if you want... just hit the Share menu item and select how you want it shared). And that spreadsheet (again, live and you can fiddle with it).

<https://www.icloud.com/numbers/0m6a5IKo-pJFgG8dY32KU-f-A#Owl2>

Neither is "real" -- feel free to mess them up (and I can go back to older versions anyway).

Snit
And to go back and forth you have to change settings. This is what I am talking about when I note it is kludgy.

owl
You don't have to go back and forth.

Would love to see it autoupdating all tables as you move from table to table and enter data, NOT having to try to jump in before a refresh.

And remember, this is something that you said is not even possible with Numbers -- updating a sheet with data from a completely separate file.

Snit
Well, this whole thing is a work around to try to emulate what Numbers does easily... have multiple tables all on one sheet

owl
And the question is why are you doing that anyway when you can just use different sections of one sheet for the work?

Why do it that way when you are not limited to it? Why not have each logical section be its own table? Makes it easier to update and maintain and move things around anyway... and table rows from one table do not effect the width of other data, etc.

What is the value to losing the choices afforded by NOT being all in one grid?

Snit
Think of it this way, if you were sent a file by someone and did not really know what it did, would YOU be willing to change its permissions and run it?

I suspect not... at least not anywhere other than in a safe environment where if it wiped out the machine (or VM) it would not matter to you.

owl
Would you use that same security protocol with a Numbers file?

I would not change its permissions! No need. So given that I would not have to run it in a safe environment -- it is merely a file and not a program, and there are no macro issues that I know of (as there are with MS Office).

At least this is open-source (even the spreadsheet files themselves are open-source) and you can examine exactly what it does. Who knows what a Numbers file is doing, or even what Numbers is doing, for that matter.

It is running a spreadsheet. And it is from a known, trusted source.

The user needn't notice that it's multiple files.

Snit
Even the user making it?

owl
Picture this as the application that the user runs to make the file. In this case it's just operating on one that's already built, but the principal is the same.

Snit
And if the user wants another table or to edit things?

owl
Then he creates one or edits things.

By all means describe the steps. Here are the steps to adding a new table in the solution I offer:

1) Click the "tables" icon (or use the similar menu item) 2) Pick which type table you want 3) Drag to move, resize, etc.

Of course there can be details to that (such as how to combined cells or whatever) but the basics are trivial.

Snit
It again goes back to having a computer as a single-device tool or a general-purpose tool.

Do not get me wrong, with what you are doing for folks who are willing to focus a whole lot on the tool they can reasonably easily switch from what single task (or fairly limited set of tasks) the computer is doing to another. But do you see where this is not how most people work?

owl
No.

Fair enough ... and good of you to admit you do not see it. But it is not.

Snit
If so that is very different than what I am picturing. Even for the end user I think they likely would if you did not have embedded xterms in other windows and the like. Which, sure, you can do. Maybe we found a reason for it ... to get around limitations of sc. :)

owl
Let me know when Numbers can handle a similar task of linking separate files with automatic updates.

Snit
It has the tables in one file...

owl
So put them all on one sheet. You have 22 million cells on a sheet. Use some of those.

I use some of those. And in most of my examples they are on one sheet. Going back to the real-world example I showed you: <https://youtu.be/V2bRLDuaVOk>

That is all on one sheet... the five tables and the text. If you look at the top there is not even another sheet made for that file. Here, feel free to examine the file yourself: <https://goo.gl/vOFudM>.

I think you are confusing the concepts of sheets and tables. We can also have multiple files in tabs to completely blow your mind. :)

-- Personal attacks from those who troll show their own insecurity. They cannot use reason to show the message to be wrong so they try to feel somehow superior by attacking the messenger.

<https://youtu.be/H4NW-Cqh308>

owl (53m) > Snit