Re: Calumet files Chapter 7

Sandman
SubjectRe: Calumet files Chapter 7
Message-ID<slrnlj6l19.389.mr@irc.sandman.net>
FollowsTony Cooper
FollowupsTony Cooper (7h & 33m) > Sandman
Eric Stevens (8d & 49m) > Sandman

In article <nqi5j9durci5tudcd9kesq3vbkvok7mkbo@4ax.com>, Tony Cooper wrote:

Sandman
Ignoring something is an active action, not stating something isn't.

Tony Cooper
Good Lord! How in the world do you come to that conclusion?

By using logic and facts.

How, in writing, does one "actively" ignore something other than by not acknowledging it, not responding to it, or not stating anything about it?

Only one of those actions could be called "ignoring" something - i.e. the one where one does not respond to something. Like if they snip away something that was written. That is, unsurprisingly, an active action performed by the person.

"Not acknowledging it" is not, unless you're also there talking about acknowledging something that was written by someone and then actively ignored by the one responding.

"not stating something about it" is not the same as ignoring it. I did not state anything about my wife in my preceeding post, yet that does not mean I am ignoring her.

If you take active action in response, it is the complete opposite of "ignore".

Of course not. Snipping out parts of a message, or choosing not to reply to certain parts of a message is an active choice made by the poster, and *can* be him or her ignoring it (it can also be done by mistake, by overlooking or missing it or a number of other reasons as well).

Not acknowledging something is a passive, not active, response.

I am not talking about "responses", I am talking about the act of ignoring something. It's something you do, it's a verb. I even posted the definition. It's a refusal to take notice or acknowledge, to disregard intentionally. It's something you DO. If you miss something, forgot to think about something or overlooked something, that's not an act.

The intent to ignore may be an active mental process, but no statement in response is a passive action.

There is no such thing as a "passive action". It's an oxymoron. They are both nouns that contradict each other.

passive - accepting or allowing what happens of what others do without action

action - the process of doing someting

In non-written situations, we often ignore by silence.

That's only one way to ignore something. You can ignore traffic by walking right into the street, you can ignore the battery warning on your phone by continuing using it and so on. Silence is just one way to ignore something or someone that expects your response to be spoken.

Consider the situation where you are sitting there eating your breakfast and your wife loosens a tirade of charges that you don't pick up your dirty laundry from the floor, don't help out around the house, and spend too much time on the computer. You sit there in stony silence and continue to eat your Croonchy Stars. You offer no response.

Are you not ignoring her?

Of course. But if I have my headset on at the time and didn't hear her, then I'm not. Me ignoring her is a choice and an action, even though I am passive as far as speech or response goes. One can be passive with regards to something while at the same time being active with regards to something. You slouching on the sofa means you're passive in term of movement, but you're actively learning something from the book you're actively reading.

Don't mistake this for a "passive action", however.

Sandman
There are millions of things you didn't state in your post here, but you're not actually ignoring all of them; like floods in malaysia, the price of IKEA furniture and the mating calls of sea lions. You didn't state any of those items, and according to you, that means you ignored them. Well, according to the English language, you didn't.

Tony Cooper
Go back and read the definition you provided: "refuse to take notice". There has to be something that could be noticed or acknowledged that isn't noticed or acknowledged for that something to be ignored.

Indeed. You have yet to provided anything what was presented and then actively choosen not to be acknowledges (and thus ignored) by nospam.

With no mention of a flood in Malaysia, the topic of floods in Malaysia is not ignored if it is not addressed.

Indeed, and with no mention about X, then nospam can't ignore it. And even with the mention of X, it takes more than just noting that he didn't acknowledge it to determine whether or not he actually didn't acknowledge it due to him ignoring it.

Sandman
Ignoring something is deliberate, and one cannot prove the existence of a deliberate action (ignoring something) solely by noting the absence of another deliberate action (i.e. stating something).

Tony Cooper
Well, we can.

No.

When the ignoring is done in written response to a written statement, the omission of addressing that point is sufficient proof.

While this isn't a true claim as stated, you have yet to provide this "written statement" and the written response where the act of ignoring was obvious. Remember how this was the first thing I asked you?

Sandman 03/25/2014 <slrnlj3fer.v0p.mr@irc.sandman.net>

"How did you determine that he "ignores" this? Where is the quote from nospam where he made it clear that he is ignoring this aspect?"

You actually ignored this question. I.e. your response to it didn't address it in any capacity.

In your history of misunderstanding words and terms in English, and taking preposterous positions in defense of your error, this one is the most bizarre.

Ironic.

Tony Cooper 03/25/2014 <sjj3j9tcphc4s5ha6dlibj8h9cv2bgtcl6@4ax.com>

"If it isn't stated, it's ignored."

-- Sandman[.net]