Re: Calumet files Chapter 7

Tony Cooper
SubjectRe: Calumet files Chapter 7
FromTony Cooper
Date04/05/2014 17:27 (04/05/2014 11:27)
Message-ID<8070k99hl7asj5s54eif3hf9gco981q58p@4ax.com>
FollowupsSandman (39m) > Tony Cooper
nospam (53m)

On 5 Apr 2014 13:46:25 GMT, Sandman <mr@sandman.net>wrote:

Sandman
I'm a bit unsure whether or not you mean that only the company Adobe have legal right to call third party plugins "Photoshop plugins", where the third party plugin developers musyt change the order of the words and add a "for" to be legally valid.

You shouldn't be unsure. "Photoshop" is a registered trademark of Adobe. That's legal protection. How that registered trademark is used is up to Adobe to enforce.

Adobe apparently doesn't pursue infringements. The availability of plug-ins are beneficial to Adobe because it makes Photoshop a more useful program and more desired. It would be costly for Adobe to crack down. That doesn't mean that they don't have the legal right to do so.

If you develop a flavoring that can be added to Coca Cola, and call it a "Coca Cola Flavoring", Cocoa Cola would most probably take legal action. They've shown that they make an effort to protect their trademarked name by forcing restaurants in the US to say "We serve (name of beverage)" if the customer orders a "Coke" or a "Coca Cola" and the restaurant only serves Pepsi or some other beverage.

Apple attempted a "get tough" policy with "App Store", but abandoned it.

The reason that firms take action to protect their trademark is to prevent that trademark from becoming a generic term as happened to the makers of aspirin, escalator, thermos, and many other products. Adobe does not want "Photoshop" to become a generic term for "image processing software", but they have to balance their need to protect with the benefits of allowing the erroneous usage to continue.

And, as stated, so far you have provided nothing to counter this but meaningless words.

In your opinion, but then we know that understanding words is not your forte. nospam also argues with the premise, but his defense is "everybody does it" or something like that.

-- Tony Cooper - Orlando FL