Re: Calumet files Chapter 7

Scott Schuckert
SubjectRe: Calumet files Chapter 7
FromScott Schuckert
Date03/25/2014 16:44 (03/25/2014 11:44)
Message-ID<250320141144578766%not@aol.com>
FollowsSavageduck

In article <2014032508113233258-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>wrote:

Savageduck
There was no doubt that they provided good service when they could. They never talked down to, or ignored non-Canon users, and understood their operational limitations, but it handicapped them from day one.

(GRIN) I was mostly a Canon shop, largely because the brand was popular and far easier to deal with than EPOI (Nikon's distributor at the time). But I did have Nikon, and also Olympus and Fuji. Rollei dealer, too, though I kept no inventory.

Give you an idea how stupid and idealistic I was: When I opened my second store, there was already a camera store in the town I wanted to go into. I actually sat down and talked to him (single proprietor, very small shop catering mostly to the older pros in the area.) Basically asked his permission to be there, and tried to stay away from the brands he emphasized. Never put anything he carried on loss leader.

I'm sure I didn't directly put him out of business, though no doubt I hastened an already-in-progress decline. Made me sad when he retired.

Frankly, I'd give my left nut if I could still be earning a living in the business.