Re: Calumet files Chapter 7

Eric Stevens
SubjectRe: Calumet files Chapter 7
FromEric Stevens
Date04/05/2014 05:09 (04/05/2014 16:09)
Message-ID<snsuj91td454dc5k6m7cjnk19nrc6966d9@4ax.com>
FollowupsSandman (6h & 41m)

On 4 Apr 2014 15:27:18 GMT, Sandman <mr@sandman.net>wrote:

Sandman
In article <rigtj99te4rb85mb9jnnk489b79aor2c21@4ax.com>, Tony Cooper wrote:

No, not that I'm aware of. Tony incorrectly thought I had used the word "onslaught" inappropriately, but failed to show how, and I have since substantiated that I was using it correctly - which is when he quietly left the thread to lick his wounds.

Tony Cooper
You used the word in a way that is not idiomatic in English.

Sandman
This is an incorrect claim from you, as I have shown.

... shown, only to yourself.

Tony Cooper
The usage would not have been written by anyone who understands how the word is used.

Sandman
Incorrect. And ironic to be coming from you.

He is correct.

Tony Cooper
There is a difference that you don't seem to grasp between "inappropriate" and "incorrect". This is part of the reason you come out with these clangers in usage.

Sandman
Ironic.

And correct.

Tony Cooper
An inappropriate usage can be a usage where the word just doesn't fit. It's wrong for the application. An incorrect usage is when the word is not just wrong for the application, but wrong enough to make the usage not understandable or misleading.

Sandman
Luckily, I used the word appropriately, which I showed in my substantiation, which you snipped and ignored since you can't counter it.

Anyone familiar with English can tell that you are not a native English speaker. Not in a big way: your English is generally very good. What gives you away are the subtleties of word usage.

Tony Cooper
It's a subtle difference, but one that people who seek to improve their language skills take heed of.

Sandman
An ironic claim to come from you.

Tony Cooper
I left the thread because I recognized that you have no interest in improving your English in this area. You would rather insist that your usage was appropriate than learn.

Sandman
I am very interested in improving my English. Your mistake is thinking you're proficient enough to teach anyone anything. You're the one that has made such hilarious comment such as:

Tony Cooper 11/27/2013 04:03:26 PM <360c9956k64fpsu56a911250ggjs4no9qt@4ax.com>

"A requirement is what you want to do."

You're not seriously considering yourself in a position to teach anyone something about the usage of English words, now are you? This is just your attempt at being funny, right?

Tony Cooper
I am not wounded by your intractability. I'm not even mildly distressed. If it's OK with you to continue to look foolish by insisting that the inappropriate is appropriate, that's your choice.

Sandman
Again, I am not the one looking foolish when I can support my argument and you can only snip it. But I understand your need for this to be the case, given the humiliation you've endured.

--

Regards,

Eric Stevens

Sandman (6h & 41m)