Re: Calumet files Chapter 7

Tony Cooper
SubjectRe: Calumet files Chapter 7
FromTony Cooper
Date03/27/2014 06:58 (03/27/2014 01:58)
Message-ID<foc7j993cuaolotha4trntjth23aaofge3@4ax.com>
FollowupsSandman (39m) > Tony Cooper

On 26 Mar 2014 22:25:17 GMT, Sandman <mr@sandman.net>wrote:

Tony Cooper
Not acknowledging something is a passive, not active, response.

Sandman
I am not talking about "responses", I am talking about the act of ignoring something.

Where else, but in a response, does one ignore something in a newsgroup posting?

There is no such thing as a "passive action". It's an oxymoron. They are both nouns that contradict each other.

The problem you have is that you just don't have a feel for English. You're dictionary-dependent, and when you find a one definition of a word you think that's the only way the word is used. Your mind ceases to function when you find some definition that you think fits what you want it to mean.

We have "passive-aggressive" and "passive resistance"; both of which would be oxymorons if you consider "passive" only be used to mean accepting what is done without action.

The action in "passive action" is the process of deciding what to do. The passive action is deciding to do nothing.

The meaning was almost in your grasp when you wrote "I am talking about the act of ignoring something.". "Act", in that sentence is a verb and is defined as "to do something" or "to reach a decision" and "to produce an effect". So, the act is an action and the something is to ignore.

passive - accepting or allowing what happens of what others do without action

action - the process of doing someting

I'll snip a bunch of stuff here because it's no more than a series of forays up and down different garden paths, but I will leave this:

Sandman 03/25/2014 <slrnlj3fer.v0p.mr@irc.sandman.net>

"How did you determine that he "ignores" this? Where is the quote from nospam where he made it clear that he is ignoring this aspect?"

I didn't know better, I'd say this was a sign of a sense of humor on your part. You want a quote where he says he is ignoring this aspect?

If he said anything about this aspect that could be quoted, he wouldn't be said to have ignored it, would he?

-- Tony Cooper - Orlando FL