Re: Calumet files Chapter 7

Eric Stevens
SubjectRe: Calumet files Chapter 7
FromEric Stevens
Date04/04/2014 02:52 (04/04/2014 13:52)
Message-ID<eovrj9l8n25lmoe1gm09slk3r70tatd0j3@4ax.com>
FollowsTony Cooper

On Sun, 30 Mar 2014 08:26:55 -0400, Tony Cooper <tonycooper214@gmail.com>wrote:

Tony Cooper
On 30 Mar 2014 07:49:42 GMT, Sandman <mr@sandman.net>wrote:

Sandman
In article <lh7l5c02rrv@news3.newsguy.com>, PeterN wrote:

Savageduck
Perhaps a virtual inundation of substantiations was meant to imply a metaphoric onslaught. ...maybe a flood, or even a plethora of substantiations might end up described so?

Sandman
Or maybe just a large quantity of substantiations that Tony has had a hard time coping with? I.e. what actually has happened everytime I've used the word.

PeterN
Only the times when you use an inappropriate word.

Sandman
You are free to point to any such time, Peter. Be my guest. I am happy to be corrected when I make mistakes. Be sure to point to the post of my inappropiate usage and substantiation for how and why it was inappropriate.

I'm waiting.

PeterN
Just look at and read any of your postings in which Tony orI corrected your English.

Sandman
There is none to look at that meet that criteria.

Tony Cooper
Here's one for you, then. "There is none..." is a gross error.

If I adopted your juvenile style of writing, I'd add "Hilarious", "haha", or "Ironic".

PeterN
And that's as far as I go with you English lesson.

Sandman
So, you have nothing. I knew that of course.

I think the problem with arguing with Jonas is that the two of you are coming from two different directions.

You are genuinely trying to teach him something about the usage of the English language based on you lifetime's experience of seriously using it.

Jonas is fighting it like a lawyer, using selective quotes from what are generally fairly mundane on-line English dictionaries. He must know that languages are not constructed in this Lego-like fashion and the question must be why he is doing it this way. The answer may be in Message-ID: <slrnlj9aem.8em.mr@irc.sandman.net>wherein his final line is : "In short - you lose. Again."

Jonas has finished other articles in a similar fashion. It seems he sees this as some kind of competition in which he desparately struggles to avoid a loss. If it was a game, he would be good at it, but you are not playing a game. The two of you will never agree and Jonas will never admit to learning from you. --

Regards,

Eric Stevens