Re: Calumet files Chapter 7

nospam
SubjectRe: Calumet files Chapter 7
Fromnospam
Date03/25/2014 10:45 (03/25/2014 05:45)
Message-ID<250320140545034829%nospam@nospam.invalid>
FollowsScott Schuckert
FollowupsScott Schuckert (4h & 11m) > nospam

In article <240320141457331373%not@aol.com>, Scott Schuckert <not@aol.com>wrote:

nospam
there is something inherently dishonest about charging high prices without offering anything in return, ripping off the customers. why would anyone want to shop in a store where they get ripped off?

Scott Schuckert
Disagree. Stupid, but not dishonest. Problem is perception of value. I, personally, perceive a lot of value in simply being able to hold the product in my hands before purchase, and have my questions answered by a (presumed) expert. Unfortunately, customers have overwhelmingly voted they place little-to-no value on that, by purchasing elsewhere.

that's because the presumed expert isn't usually an expert, other than in knowing how to make a sale and sometimes lying to do so. they aren't interested in what's best for the customer and will push the product with the highest spiff.

give customers a reason to buy locally and they more than likely will. there are some stores that do just that and they generally are the ones that are still in business.

Dishonesty comes in on the customers side, where they TAKE that value (showroom demonstration) without paying for it (making the purchase at the dealer offering it).

the dishonesty is in offering a product for confiscatory prices and pushing products with the highest spiff when it's not really what the customer wants, then push additional high markup products, such as filters, bags, etc., that the customer doesn't really need at all.

nospam
and the difference is not slightly less. it's a *lot* less online.

Scott Schuckert
Retail stores have an almost impossible task in being "competitive." Manufacturers reward large mail order resellers with vast quantity discounts. Even by ordering quarterly, rather than monthly, and co-op buying with other small resellers, I typically couldn't get my wholesale under NYC mail order retail.

nonsense. price isn't everything.

offer something that warrants buying from a store. if all you're going to do is hand the customer a box, why should they pay more, sometimes a lot more?? i've seen some products double the price in a store than at an online seller.

Also, I didn't have access to grey market ("parallel") imports, so I was constantly explaining that my merchandise came with a different, better warranty than much of the mail order stuff. For the most part, they didn't understand the difference, or didn't care.

you could if you wanted to.

b&h, for instance, sells both usa and grey market products and lets the user choose which one they want.

and most mail order stuff is not grey market anyway, other than from the sleazehole vendors.

nospam
if stores were competitive, then the customers wouldn't need to test drive a product in a store and buy online for less. stop blaming the customers. they're not the problem.

Scott Schuckert
Bullshit, for the reasons stated above. "Competitive" would be selling below cost. How much margin do you think there is in a camera, anyway?

competitive doesn't mean below cost.

however, it does mean not charging as much as twice the price as available elsewhere, for the same item.

offer products and services to make customers want to buy from you, otherwise they aren't going to. it's really that simple.

either adapt to the changing landscape of online shopping or be gone. that's harsh but that's just how it is.