Re: Calumet files Chapter 7

Tony Cooper
SubjectRe: Calumet files Chapter 7
FromTony Cooper
Date04/04/2014 02:27 (04/03/2014 20:27)
Message-ID<a9srj99rqemkkraebu4i1mkm72r7i2ro8l@4ax.com>
FollowupsSandman (5h & 9m) > Tony Cooper

On 3 Apr 2014 21:29:16 GMT, Sandman <mr@sandman.net>wrote:

Sandman
In article <r6hrj91s0nt1voql1oo4g7s8tt8kbplh4d@4ax.com>, Tony Cooper wrote:

Someone buying a Rolex doesn't do it because he needs it or "percieves" he needs it, it's because he wants it, and it's a status symbol. It's easy to discern the difference - because purchases you make that you *need* may also be things you do not *want*.

Tony Cooper
What, then, do you think "perceives" means? A perceived need is simply a need we think we have, and that equates to a want; we want it because we think we need it.

Sandman
Man, you've totally lost it. We do not *want* things because we *think* we need them. We don't *want* things because we *need* them either. If we're lucky, we may very well want the smae things that are also needed, but the words are not synonymous.

You are so far off track here that there's no possibility at all of getting you to understand. Perceived needs and perceived values have been established terms almost forever. Well, "forever" in the history of studying human behavior. I was reading case studies on this when I getting my MBA from Northwestern University.

Tony Cooper
Who decides, in your mind, what the customer needs or should buy? The sales clerk?

Sandman
I think a more pressing question is - who will teach you what the word "need" means? Apparently you're saying that someone taking photos to post to facebook needs a 12 core Mac Pro and Photoshop CC. I'm assumign you either have a 12 core Mac Pro and PS/CC or you've never posted an image to Facebook.

I don't have a Mac, and I've never posted to Facebook. However, anyone can convince themselves that they need a particular item regardless of whether or not they actually do need it. That's perceived need. The perception is in the mind of the person.

Tony Cooper
Perceived need is completely different from real need.

What was that thing you bought? The kickstart thing? The funny lens? Did you have a real need for it? Or, was it a perceived need?

Sandman
The Petzval. There was no need, "percieved" or not. Only a desire for the effect of the lens. There was no requirement (=need) for that lens for me.

Only because it is based on ignorance.

Tony Cooper
So you bought a lens out of ignorance?

Sandman
Only if I had ever said I needed it. Which of course I didn't. I bought it because I wanted it, not because I needed it.

You didn't need to say it. You convinced yourself that you needed to have it, though. You created a perceived need. "Want" and "need" are not synonymous words, but how we justify our "wants" by convincing ourselves that they are "needs" is well understood by marketers.

Tony Cooper
But, according to your best buddy, that doesn't make for a "smooth" transaction.

Sandman
I'll give you one million dollar if you can quote me saying that.

Tony Cooper
I guess you meant something entirely different when you said: "Many people do - that doesn't make it a smooth buyer experience, just like I said. It's an added step you have to add before you go to the store."

Sandman
I meant what I wrote, which as you can see didn't correlate to what you claimed I wrote. See why you have no credibility yet?

Oh, God. Another misunderstood word: "correlate". Of course it correlates. My version and your version are two complementary statements.

Correlate (verb) having a mutual relationships or connection.

Nothing in that definition that requires an exact replication.

-- Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

Sandman (5h & 9m) > Tony Cooper