Re: Calumet files Chapter 7

Tony Cooper
SubjectRe: Calumet files Chapter 7
FromTony Cooper
Date04/05/2014 00:01 (04/04/2014 18:01)
Message-ID<lv7uj9hu3h1tes35dk3vjbblr9nklq8do7@4ax.com>
FollowupsSandman (11h & 13m) > Tony Cooper

On 4 Apr 2014 05:37:20 GMT, Sandman <mr@sandman.net>wrote:

Tony Cooper
What, then, do you think "perceives" means? A perceived need is simply a need we think we have, and that equates to a want; we want it because we think we need it.

Sandman
Man, you've totally lost it. We do not *want* things because we *think* we need them. We don't *want* things because we *need* them either. If we're lucky, we may very well want the smae things that are also needed, but the words are not synonymous.

Tony Cooper
You are so far off track here that there's no possibility at all of getting you to understand. Perceived needs and perceived values have been established terms almost forever. Well, "forever" in the history of studying human behavior. I was reading case studies on this when I getting my MBA from Northwestern University.

Sandman
I am not claiming the term doesn't exist, I am correctly pointing out that "perceived need" has nothing to do with "want".

I'm going to snip the rest of your reply because I see no reason for a point-by-point reply to a series of bogus rebuttals. You are one of those people without the intellectual capacity to meet concepts heretofore unknown to you and process them simply as new information. You approach them from the position that if you don't already know about them, they must be wrong.

The word "need" is a word with a very wide range of meaning. There is always some understood qualifier to the word. We have needs where the qualifier is "basic", meaning that these are needs that are required to sustain life: food, oxygen, water, sleep, etc.

Beyond those basic needs, we use qualifiers like "perceived" to indicate how important the needs are and how those needs are formulated within the mind. There is a range of perceived needs that are simply wants and desires that the individual formulates as "needs" in order to obtain what is wanted and desired under the guise of needing it or them.

When we speak of "needing" something beyond our basic needs, there is always an unspoken qualification to that. We express the "need", but often leave unspoken the qualifier "so that I can...".

Your need for a new hard drive is a perceived need, and the qualification is "so that I can store additional images". Actually, you simply want a new hard drive and you want to store those additional images, but in neither case is there a real need. You can do without both.

This is how your perceived need correlates with "want". "I need..." is an attempt to justify a want as a necessity.

We don't always externalize the conversion of a "want" to a "need", but - internally - that's always part of the process. It allows us to do things, and spend money, with a clear conscience when we know that there are other things we should be doing or spending our money on.

-- Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

Sandman (11h & 13m) > Tony Cooper