Re: Calumet files Chapter 7

Sandman
SubjectRe: Calumet files Chapter 7
Message-ID<slrnljrdcp.3jd.mr@irc.sandman.net>
FollowsTony Cooper
FollowupsTony Cooper (1h & 49m) > Sandman

In article <f58rj99bcukuira9aoj2k2b952k9kljudk@4ax.com>, Tony Cooper wrote:

Tony Cooper
Yes. What is "right" for a person is the product that suits the person's perceived needs and desires. What their *real* needs are is immaterial. If he thinks he has what he needs, that's "right" enough.

nospam
nope. he may want all of that and if he has cash burning a hole in his pocket then he can buy it just for fun, but his needs are nowhere near justifying any of it. an honest store would tell him he could put his money to better use.

Tony Cooper
You don't understand the word "perceived"? Why do people drive a Lexus, wear a Rolex, or buy $100 neckties? As a consumer, we have the right and the ability to purchase what we perceive we need.

Someone buying a Rolex doesn't do it because he needs it or "percieves" he needs it, it's because he wants it, and it's a status symbol. It's easy to discern the difference - because purchases you make that you *need* may also be things you do not *want*.

When I bought my iPad, no one at the Apple store tried to tell me that an $89 tablet would be a better buy for my needs. I would not expect them to, and I would not want them to.

That's only because the Apple Store is not a reseller of tablets, they're a store that sells only Apple tablets. Last time I was in an Apple Store I had some specific needs for a iPad dock, and instead of trying to push their own brand, the sales person presented many different brands in many different price ranges.

nospam
i do when it's overkill.

someone taking photos to post on facebook doesn't need a 12 core mac pro with photoshop cs/cc.

Tony Cooper
That's for them to decide.

No it's not. They do not *need* it to accomplish those tasks, that's a plain fact.

Perceived need is completely different from real need.

Only because it is based on ignorance. Hence, they don't need it. I have no idea why you're adding the "Percieved" qualifier to nospam's comments, why not reply to what he says instead of what doesn't say?

nospam
they don't stop orders but as i said in another post, there are wizards to help you choose the right product for your needs and some have online chat where you can ask questions and many have online reviews. you can always call and talk to someone for further guidance.

Tony Cooper
That's only available to the customer who avails themselves of it.

Just as in a store.

You have to seek it out.

Most times you don't. Reviews are displayed alongside the product, some sites will popup a question if you linger on a page for a while, asking if you need help deciding.

The customer who just places an order gets what he orders whether or not he needs that level of product.

Very insightful.

nospam
there is *plenty* of information available, much more than what you can use than while standing in a store with a salesperson trying to close a sale so that he gets his commission.

Tony Cooper
But, according to your best buddy, that doesn't make for a "smooth" transaction.

I'll give you one million dollar if you can quote me saying that.

nospam
he has more money than brains and the store loves people like that.

Tony Cooper
Well, he has to have *some* brains to make the kind of income that allows him to pay $2,000 for a camera without blinking an eye. And, as I said, any online retailer - including B&H - would accept his order without asking him if he needed that much camera.

Of course. They won't question a customers purchase. But if said customer walks in to the store and starts handling a $2,000 camera and a sales person asks him if he wants help and he says yes, the sales person might very well ask him what his needs are and enlighten the customer on what product may fit him the best. The reason isn't to make him buy something cheaper, but in order to make the customer happy and pleased with both the product and the buying experience and support.

-- Sandman[.net]

Tony Cooper (1h & 49m) > Sandman