Re: Calumet files Chapter 7

nospam
SubjectRe: Calumet files Chapter 7
Fromnospam
Date03/15/2014 00:05 (03/14/2014 19:05)
Message-ID<140320141905163139%nospam@nospam.invalid>
FollowsGeorge Kerby

In article <CF48ED6D.A8DDB%ghost_topper@hotmail.com>, George Kerby <ghost_topper@hotmail.com>wrote:

PAS
That would be personalized expert service and the ability to handle the goods before buying. That's something the brick & mortar store still offers.

nospam
but not necessarily at a competitive price. stores have an overhead that an online seller does not have and almost always have higher prices, sometimes by quite a bit.

what ends up happening is people might go to a store to check out the camera or other product and then go order it online for much less. the store not only doesn't get the sale but they spent time helping someone buy elsewhere.

George Kerby
THAT is EXACTLY what people would do to me when I was a store manager for a local mom n pop store here. Even though, Nikon, Olympus and Canon would give us deals and quantity breaks in wholesale to us, folks would come in and waste hours of my and my staff's time and then leave and buy from B&H or some other mail order outfit back in the late 70's.

you didn't offer them a reason to buy from you.

people will generally pay a little extra when they get a little extra. what they aren't inclined to do is pay extra for the same service (or sometimes less).

Like you said, a local store doesn't stay in business without something. Even though we tried to discount the hardware to match mail order, we sold accessories like filters, cases and bags at full retail to help. The REAL money came from our photofinishing operations.

yep, and film processing is just about all gone now, so that won't work anymore.

a local camera store near me tried setting up custom kiosks/printers for digital prints, larger than what someone could print at home, but that failed. they are no longer in business.

Keep in mind "One Hour Labs" were not around just yet, but we could get a 24 hour turnaround with local printing and overnight Kodachrome, depending on when the customer brought in the film before courier pickup. Another pure profit area per square foot was a card rack we kept in a corner when the customer would first walk in.

the one hour labs were fast. they weren't generally good. i used to use a local camera store that did excellent work, but it took longer than one hour. that was worth paying a little extra.

Today, the trick is having a large used equipment department. The only two surviving operations here in the third most populated county in the US thrive on this, along with VERY knowledgeable staff.

used equipment is a different market segment and a shrewd owner can do quite well if they know the value of equipment.

on the other hand, there are those who overprice used stuff and i have to laugh at some of the prices i see.