Re: Calumet files Chapter 7

Sandman
SubjectRe: Calumet files Chapter 7
Message-ID<slrnlj4ul8.31g.mr@irc.sandman.net>
FollowsTony Cooper
FollowupsTony Cooper (6h & 32m) > Sandman

In article <ruc4j9pd07gm4prf26orf80mjh1jqm5510@4ax.com>, Tony Cooper wrote:

Tony Cooper
If it isn't stated, it's ignored.

Sandman
Whoa! That quote is one for the archives. If it isn't stated, it's ignored.

Tony Cooper
Uhhh, yes. How could it be any other way?

Maybe you're just ignorant about the meaning of the word "ignore"? Could be.

ignore verb refuse to take notice of or acknowledge; disregard intentionally:

Ignoring something is an active action, not stating something isn't. There are millions of things you didn't state in your post here, but you're not actually ignoring all of them; like floods in malaysia, the price of IKEA furniture and the mating calls of sea lions. You didn't state any of those items, and according to you, that means you ignored them. Well, according to the English language, you didn't.

Ignoring something is deliberate, and one cannot prove the existence of a deliberate action (ignoring something) solely by noting the absence of another deliberate action (i.e. stating something).

While everything can't be stated, when the position is taken that retail stores do not have helpful staff, and that there is an "online landscape" to be reckoned with, the same analysis of the online landscape should be addressed.

Sandman
That's like saying that a retail store have ugly shelves and thus one is forced to make a comment about online store's lack of shelves.

Tony Cooper
Surely you can come up with a better analogy than that.

Maybe, but it worked.

Within certain parameters that the *buyer* determines.

Sandman
Not necessarily, While most of my experience is with swedish sites, I'm sure comparable ones exists for the US. Sites that will give you some basic questions to get you started in finding your product. Like if you're looking for a TV, you get the questions whether you want 3D, how large it should be, what price range you're interested in and so forth. We have pricerunner and prisjakt (price hunt) as two examples here in Sweden.

Tony Cooper
All your examples above are parameters that the *buyer* determines.

Maybe you're being unclear, but I disagree. THe buyer knows nothing about what parameters is important to him or her, the site in questions determines what parameters to ask the customer in order to help him or her make an informed purchase.

So, the buyer comes to the site with only one goal - "I want to buy a TV", and the site will tell him what parameters that may be important in that acquisition.

Sandman
How would one go about to determine whether such staff is on the floor on any given day - or even on the payroll at all?

Tony Cooper
You can't figure that out in two or three minutes?

Sandman
Not unless I actually get in my car and drive down to the store and interact with them, no. And that's a lot of time wasted there already.

Tony Cooper
Unless you've just moved to a new town, or are just starting out in photography as a hobby, you know what to expect in the store.

Not unless I've already tried and failed many times. Since you can't write off an entire store just because you had one lousy interaction with one employee, you still have to come back a couple of times in order to conclude that the store doesn't have knowledgable staff. Plus, employees come and go and new knowledgable ones could easily replace older ones so you'd have to come back every now and then and take a new sample to refresh your conclusion.

What you might not know is what changes there have been in personnel since your last visit.

Indeed.

It removes him from any position of authority on the subject.

Sandman
I'm quite sure that's ok with him. We all know the animosity you have towards him and I don't think he's delusional to imagine that you consider him an "authority" on anything.

Tony Cooper
You'd be quite wrong. I consider him an authority in many areas involving technical expertise.

Unless, of course, if he has used that technical expertise to you correct you, in which case he's automatically wrong.

Where he goes wrong is in trying to shove his personal preferences down the throat of everyone who dares to differ with him. In general, he's an arrogant boor who discounts the preferences of others because they don't do things his way.

While I'm sure that has happened as well, most of the time he's using exaggeration to state what I consider obvious things regarding backup, lightroom and things like that. I can't remember him ever talking about how he manages backups or how he use Lightroom.

In fact, just about everything he's said about how to use Lightroom properly I agree with 100%, and *I* don't use Lightroom - so I agree with him without actually stating *my preference*, and it's quite possible that nospam doesn't use Lightroom either (which, of course, doesn't exclude extensive knowledge about the program).

If I were to tell you that off-site backup is the only right way to do backup if you're concerned about your data, I'm not shoving my personal preference down your throat, I am stating a very obvious fact.

Fact is, many poster here (especially among the elder ones) aren't technically proficient and will make comments about computers, programs or other technical matters that aren't correct, and nospam (and me) are happy to correct them. But these people have a hard time being corrected so they will argue about a subject they know very little about.

It makes one doubt anything he says. While hyperbole is often used in other cases, nospam and his "never", "always", "no one", "everyone", and examples like this one, he's alone at the top in this department.

Sandman
I'm sure you're quite aware that this applies as much to you as him. And me as well, probably. It's easy to use absolutes in a discussion because it gets the message across. Sometimes I call you on it and sometimes you call me on it (difference being that I either retract or substantiate the claim and you don't).

Tony Cooper
Bullshit. You "substantiate" by saying "Incorrect" more than anything else.

I have never substantiated anything by saying "Incorrect". Me stating "Incorrect" to something you write is due to one of three reasons (generally):

1. You have made a claim about my motives, feelings, actions or something that you have no knowledge about but I can't really prove otherwise, so I'm just letting you know that your claim is incorrect

2. You have repeated a claim that I have already proven false, with substantiation, no need to repeat myself, just let you know that you're (still) incorrect.

3. You have made an incorrect statement for the first time, and unless you specifically ask for proof, I'm starting out with letting you know that you're incorrect - if you want substantiation, all you have to do is ask.

-- Sandman[.net]

Tony Cooper (6h & 32m) > Sandman