Re: Calumet files Chapter 7

Sandman
SubjectRe: Calumet files Chapter 7
Message-ID<slrnljrkor.3rt.mr@irc.sandman.net>
FollowsTony Cooper
FollowupsTony Cooper (2h & 58m) > Sandman

In article <r6hrj91s0nt1voql1oo4g7s8tt8kbplh4d@4ax.com>, Tony Cooper wrote:

Sandman
Someone buying a Rolex doesn't do it because he needs it or "percieves" he needs it, it's because he wants it, and it's a status symbol. It's easy to discern the difference - because purchases you make that you *need* may also be things you do not *want*.

Tony Cooper
What, then, do you think "perceives" means? A perceived need is simply a need we think we have, and that equates to a want; we want it because we think we need it.

Man, you've totally lost it. We do not *want* things because we *think* we need them. We don't *want* things because we *need* them either. If we're lucky, we may very well want the smae things that are also needed, but the words are not synonymous.

You may think you need a black tie for the wedding, so you buy one. You never wanted a black tie, however.

You may think you need a 85mm lens to shoot portraits, so you buy one. Luckily, you *also* wanted one for other reasons.

You need an external harddrive in order to properly make backups, but you don't want one on your desk taking up place.

You need a fast car to participate in saturday racing events, luckily, you also want a fast car since you enjoy driving quickly.

See how need - percieved or not - has NOTHING to do with what you want and it can correlate or not depending on the situation. They are two different words that mean two different things, regardless if you put "percieved" in front of one of them.

When I bought my iPad, no one at the Apple store tried to tell me that an $89 tablet would be a better buy for my needs. I would not expect them to, and I would not want them to.

Sandman
That's only because the Apple Store is not a reseller of tablets,

Tony Cooper
Oh, then, your defense of nospam's contention is that a store will only tell you need something less expensive because they don't think you need the expensive item *if* they also carry less expensive items?

Non sequitur.

nospam
i do when it's overkill.

someone taking photos to post on facebook doesn't need a 12 core mac pro with photoshop cs/cc.

Tony Cooper
That's for them to decide.

Sandman
No it's not. They do not *need* it to accomplish those tasks, that's a plain fact.

Tony Cooper
Who decides, in your mind, what the customer needs or should buy? The sales clerk?

I think a more pressing question is - who will teach you what the word "need" means? Apparently you're saying that someone taking photos to post to facebook needs a 12 core Mac Pro and Photoshop CC. I'm assumign you either have a 12 core Mac Pro and PS/CC or you've never posted an image to Facebook.

If a customer walks in to the store saying that he needs to buy a $10,000 12 core Mac Pro to post images to Facebook, then he is flat out wrong.

Perceived need is completely different from real need.

What was that thing you bought? The kickstart thing? The funny lens? Did you have a real need for it? Or, was it a perceived need?

The Petzval. There was no need, "percieved" or not. Only a desire for the effect of the lens. There was no requirement (=need) for that lens for me.

Sandman
Only because it is based on ignorance.

Tony Cooper
So you bought a lens out of ignorance?

Only if I had ever said I needed it. Which of course I didn't. I bought it because I wanted it, not because I needed it.

Sandman
Hence, they don't need it. I have no idea why you're adding the "Percieved" qualifier to nospam's comments, why not reply to what he says instead of what doesn't say?

Tony Cooper
If he ignores a salient point, then it's quite reasonable to bring it up.

But why not respond to what he writes instead of what he doesn't write? You're ignoring what he writes, and then you're adding something that he didn't write talk about that instead - why are you ignoring the salient point nospam already made?

But, according to your best buddy, that doesn't make for a "smooth" transaction.

Sandman
I'll give you one million dollar if you can quote me saying that.

Tony Cooper
I guess you meant something entirely different when you said: "Many people do - that doesn't make it a smooth buyer experience, just like I said. It's an added step you have to add before you go to the store."

I meant what I wrote, which as you can see didn't correlate to what you claimed I wrote. See why you have no credibility yet?

-- Sandman[.net]

Tony Cooper (2h & 58m) > Sandman