Re: Calumet files Chapter 7

Sandman
SubjectRe: Calumet files Chapter 7
Message-ID<slrnlj9aem.8em.mr@irc.sandman.net>
FollowsTony Cooper
FollowupsTony Cooper (25m) > Sandman

In article <0pg8j9d4v9j7ka0hv2r0ib70a87g4995da@4ax.com>, Tony Cooper wrote:

Tony Cooper
Not acknowledging something is a passive, not active, response.

Sandman
I am not talking about "responses", I am talking about the act of ignoring something.

Tony Cooper
Where else, but in a response, does one ignore something in a newsgroup posting?

Sandman
Non sequitur.

Tony Cooper
Couldn't answer the question?

The question was not related to anything I had written.

Sandman
There is no such thing as a "passive action". It's an oxymoron. They are both nouns that contradict each other.

Tony Cooper
The problem you have is that you just don't have a feel for English.

Sandman
The problem you have is that you think there is some magical "feel" required to understand English. Learn to use the language correctly instead.

Tony Cooper
Oh, no, I know you "understand" English. And, in general, you use it correctly. Ninety-some percent of what you write could be taken for a native speaker's writing.

Some words, though, are like a Swiss Army knife. You tend to treat those words like there is only one blade that can be properly used when, in fact, there are other blades that allow other uses.

Says the guy that stubbornly will only allow some words to be defined as his clown dictionary says they are defined. Ironic.

Other words have definitions that *seem* to fit what you want to say, but are not used idiomatically that way by those of us who do have that "magical" feel for the language.

Now Tony think he has some "magical" feel for English. Remember, this is the guy that once claimed that words need to be "accepted", regardless of their presence in those "dictionary" thingies.

Instead of noting corrections and adjusting your use, you dig in and try - unsuccessfully - to prove that you are right.

Now Tony is trying to convince himself that he has ever provided a correction to a definition of a word I have provided, when in fact all he has ever done is try to claim he has a "magical" "feel" for the words and that words need to be "accepted" and that native speakers somehow can use words totally unrelated to how they are defined in a dictionary. No, not "bending", totally different meanings.

Sandman
Ironic - your mind ceases to function without ever looking in a dictionary in the first place.

Tony Cooper
Yes, and I can ride a bicycle without looking at the directions on how to do so. The necessary information has been filed away years ago.

But you're not riding a bicycle here - you're standing on the side of the road claiming you have a magical "feeling" of a bicycle.

Sandman
Then how would you know he ignored it?

It's just a claim from you, based on apparently nothing.

Tony Cooper
Uhhh, yes. If there was something, rather than nothing, there would be no claim that it was ignored.

You made a claim about nospam's actions, you have yet to provide any substantiation for such an action to ever take place. Yes, action. You claimed he deliberately ignored something. Not that he did not acknowledge it, or that he hasn't commented on it - but that he ignored it. A claim you can't back up if your life depended on it.

In short - you lose. Again.

-- Sandman[.net]