Re: Calumet files Chapter 7

Sandman
SubjectRe: Calumet files Chapter 7
Message-ID<slrnlj7hso.65q.mr@irc.sandman.net>
FollowsTony Cooper
FollowupsTony Cooper (9h & 17m) > Sandman

In article <foc7j993cuaolotha4trntjth23aaofge3@4ax.com>, Tony Cooper wrote:

Tony Cooper
Not acknowledging something is a passive, not active, response.

Sandman
I am not talking about "responses", I am talking about the act of ignoring something.

Tony Cooper
Where else, but in a response, does one ignore something in a newsgroup posting?

Non sequitur.

Sandman
There is no such thing as a "passive action". It's an oxymoron. They are both nouns that contradict each other.

Tony Cooper
The problem you have is that you just don't have a feel for English.

The problem you have is that you think there is some magical "feel" required to understand English. Learn to use the language correctly instead.

You're dictionary-dependent, and when you find a one definition of a word you think that's the only way the word is used.

Incorrect.

Your mind ceases to function when you find some definition that you think fits what you want it to mean.

Ironic - your mind ceases to function without ever looking in a dictionary in the first place.

The meaning was almost in your grasp when you wrote "I am talking about the act of ignoring something.". "Act", in that sentence is a verb and is defined as "to do something" or "to reach a decision" and "to produce an effect". So, the act is an action and the something is to ignore.

Maybe you're learning. You seem to have managed not to ignore the actual meaning of words here.

I'll snip a bunch of stuff here because it's no more than a series of forays up and down different garden paths, but I will leave this:

Yes, run away, Tony. It's what you do best.

Sandman
Sandman 03/25/2014 <slrnlj3fer.v0p.mr@irc.sandman.net>

"How did you determine that he "ignores" this? Where is the quote from nospam where he made it clear that he is ignoring this aspect?"

Tony Cooper
I didn't know better, I'd say this was a sign of a sense of humor on your part. You want a quote where he says he is ignoring this aspect?

Yes, more or less. I am asking you how you determined that he ignored it. I have given you many examples of scenarios where one does not acknowledge or "state" something yet one does not ignore that very thing - you have of course ignored these examples and snipped them away since they don't fit your preconcieved agenda.

If nospam is ignoring something, that's a choice he has made. I am asking you to provide support for your claim that such a choice was made by him, and I can think of no other way for you to make that claim than to have first-hand account from nospam himself.

As I said before - absence of action does not provide proof of action. You can't point to him "not acknowledging X" as to be proof that "he ignores X".

If he said anything about this aspect that could be quoted, he wouldn't be said to have ignored it, would he?

Then how would you know he ignored it? Remember that ludicrous quote from you?

Tony Cooper 03/25/2014 08:09:46 PM <sjj3j9tcphc4s5ha6dlibj8h9cv2bgtcl6@4ax.com>

"If it isn't stated, it's ignored."

Since I have shown you how incorrect this is - you have to work better to support your absolute claims.

You claim he has ignored it, but there is nothing you have provided that shows just how you would have arrived at that conclusion. It's just a claim from you, based on apparently nothing.

-- Sandman[.net]

Tony Cooper (9h & 17m) > Sandman