Re: Calumet files Chapter 7

nospam
SubjectRe: Calumet files Chapter 7
Fromnospam
Date04/03/2014 17:24 (04/03/2014 11:24)
Message-ID<030420141124533792%nospam@nospam.invalid>
FollowsMayayana

In article <lhjor7$7aj$1@dont-email.me>, Mayayana <mayayana@invalid.nospam>wrote:

Mayayana
| >there is something inherently dishonest about charging high prices | >without offering anything in return, ripping off the customers. why | >would anyone want to shop in a store where they get ripped off? | | Disagree. Stupid, but not dishonest. Problem is perception of value. I, | personally, perceive a lot of value in simply being able to hold the | product in my hands before purchase, and have my questions answered by | a (presumed) expert. Unfortunately, customers have overwhelmingly voted | they place little-to-no value on that, by purchasing elsewhere. | Dishonesty comes in on the customers side, where they TAKE that value | (showroom demonstration) without paying for it (making the purchase at | the dealer offering it). |

It seems that you're both focusing on one part of a complex issue. Nospam wants cheap and chooses to ignore the cost of actually having a store.

no, i want to not pay more than i need to and the cost of having a store does not matter, except to the storekeeper. that's standard stuff, but apparently well beyond your limited ability to think.

He thinks it's dishonest for stores to charge high prices.

wrong. stores can charge whatever they want and consumers can choose to pay or not pay it. most are choosing to not pay it, and spend their hard earned money elsewhere.

(Especially ironic, given that nospam shills for Adobe at every opportunity -- a company famous for gouging a captive customer base.)

more of your idiocy. i don't shill for anyone and adobe doesn't gouge anyone anyway. they make top quality products, and some are the best products in the industry (other than flash which is crap that they acquired and are stuck with).

You would prefer to view stores as places where kindly and knowledgeable clerks are there to help you, and deserve to charge a bit more for that.

if only that were true. knowledgeable sales staff is rare. i have no problem supporting stores where staff knows stuff, but that isn't often the case, even in dedicated stores.

You don't think it's dishonest for stores to overcharge customers, but you do think it's dishonest for customers to take advantage of store sales staff without buying. Both are dishonest. Both are misleading the other party. Both care only about themselves, lacking what used to be known as common decency.

that part is true.

But it's also more involved than that.

not really.

Yesterday I was looking to buy a cane for my extremely elderly father. Walmart and Home Depot both claim to carry it. At Walmart it's only $17. But those stores don't really carry the product. It's not in their stores. They just claim to carry anything at all and then act as a middleman delivery service through their websites.

so what? order it online and be done with it.

I wouldn't be surprised if I could buy a circular saw or TV set at CVS or Safeway online for less than Home Depot and Walmart, respectively, charge for those items. But woe to me if I need to return them. :)

it's easier to drive to the post office than back to the store, and the line is probably going to be shorter at the post office than the return counter.

I don't like to buy online, and I especially avoid anyplace where I can't call and talk to a human.

why? the humans are not guaranteed to know anything.

I ended up getting the cane at Walgreen's for about $40. Walgreen's and CVS overcharge, simply because they can get away with it.

not always. learn how to shop. some stuff is competitive and other stuff is not. no single store will have the best prices on all products.

They're giant, "godless" corporations, operating only for proift.

in your world, all stores do that.

Recently I read about how CVS sells customer medical records to insurance companies; just making a little extra money on the side.

where did you read that? and the insurance companies have to get the medical records so that the pharmacy can get paid for the drugs.

I'd prefer to give my business to a local drug store. And I wouldn't mind paying a little extra for that. But they're all gone. The undercutting strategy that Walgreen's and CVS started out with drove those stores out of business. The clerks in Walgreen's know nothing about the products. Nor should they. They don't get paid enough for that. They're paid to be robots who ask politely, "Do you have one of our valuable loyalty cards?"

they're more competitive than the local stores which is why the local stores are gone. that's just the way the system works. had the local stores offered what the customers wanted, they'd still be around. a few are but overall, not very many.

I wouldn't entirely disagree with your point. CVS and Walgreen's exist in large part because of the tendency you're talking about: People fall for the low prices, ignoring the slightly less obvious fact that by supporting chain stores they're driving out competition.

that's what competition *is*.

cvs and walgreens are providing what people want and the other stores are not.

The customer tendency to go only for price is what allows companies like Walmart to thrive. And now it's become what allows online mega-retailers like Amazon to thrive. But it's not as simple as a battle between nice, expert retail clerks and amoral online mega-retailers.

who needs handholding at cvs? are you that stupid that you can't figure out which shampoo to buy?