Re: Calumet files Chapter 7

Sandman
SubjectRe: Calumet files Chapter 7
Message-ID<slrnljvkht.9me.mr@irc.sandman.net>
FollowsEric Stevens

In article <snsuj91td454dc5k6m7cjnk19nrc6966d9@4ax.com>, Eric Stevens wrote:

Sandman
No, not that I'm aware of. Tony incorrectly thought I had used the word "onslaught" inappropriately, but failed to show how, and I have since substantiated that I was using it correctly - which is when he quietly left the thread to lick his wounds.

Tony Cooper
You used the word in a way that is not idiomatic in English.

Sandman
This is an incorrect claim from you, as I have shown.

Eric Stevens
... shown, only to yourself.

No, in this group.

Tony Cooper
The usage would not have been written by anyone who understands how the word is used.

Sandman
Incorrect. And ironic to be coming from you.

Eric Stevens
He is correct.

Incorrect.

Tony Cooper
There is a difference that you don't seem to grasp between "inappropriate" and "incorrect". This is part of the reason you come out with these clangers in usage.

Sandman
Ironic.

Eric Stevens
And correct.

Incorrect.

Tony Cooper
An inappropriate usage can be a usage where the word just doesn't fit. It's wrong for the application. An incorrect usage is when the word is not just wrong for the application, but wrong enough to make the usage not understandable or misleading.

Sandman
Luckily, I used the word appropriately, which I showed in my substantiation, which you snipped and ignored since you can't counter it.

Eric Stevens
Anyone familiar with English can tell that you are not a native English speaker.

No doubt.

Not in a big way: your English is generally very good. What gives you away are the subtleties of word usage.

I bet.

Not sure if you have a point here or not.

-- Sandman[.net]