Re: Paintshop and Corel

Sandman
SubjectRe: Paintshop and Corel
Message-ID<slrnla1b1v.j9j.mr@irc.sandman.net>
FollowsTony Cooper

In article <3v81a9d2aatfbvcdjimod1efcmf0t99c2m@4ax.com>, Tony Cooper <tonycooper214@gmail.com>wrote:

Tony Cooper
I have two external drives. It is not "necessary, compulsory, or needed" for my backups to be directed to either or both of those drives.

Sandman
No, but they are a requirement if you want to do a backup to either or both of them.

Tony Cooper
What's this? Stating the obvious? Should I mock you?

You're an adult (?) you are free to do whatever pleases you. I am just letting you know what the words you use mean.

Actually, your statement here is exactly my point: "they are a requirement if you want..."

Indeed. Hence, "requirement" does not mean "what you want to do", it can very much be dependant on a desire. I.e. you may want to do something, which requires a condition to be met.

So it's the other way around. The "want" is "make a backup", "make a backup" then have the requirement of connecting the backup disk. It doesn't start with you "wanting" to connect the backup disk, that's a requirement for your desires to be fulfilled.

But, I want them to be directed to these drives.

Sandman
So you make their presence be a requirement - i.e. necessary, compulsory or neeeded. Voila.

Tony Cooper
Just so you'll know, "Viola" without the grave accent is a musical instrument. The word "Voilà" is actually a contraction of vois là, or "see there".

I take your diversion to accented characters as you admitting that "requirement" means soemthing that is needed, compulsory or necessary?

Therefore, in my backup protocol, I make this a requirement. Requirement follows want.

Sandman
It may, to some extent.

Tony Cooper
To all extent.

Incorrect.

No requirement follows something that is not wanted in some way. Shallow-thinking.

Incorrect.

Sandman
That doesn't equate the word "requirement" with the phrase "what you want to do".

Tony Cooper
As you say, "incorrect".

No, the statement above is correct.

You want to go to the pub, that requires that you put some pants on, but that's not what you "want to do", it is something you have to do.

In any context, not necessarily computer-context, a requirement is simply the manifestation of a want.

Without it being wanted, it is not a requirement.

Sandman
This is totally incorrect though. An iOS developer is required to purchase a Mac to run Xcode to develop applications. In many cases, this is against their wishes, and an unwanted and for some an unfortunate requirement. This is something driven by a *need*, not a *want*, quite clearly illsutrating the fact that the word "requirement" does NOT mean "what you want to do".

Tony Cooper
More limited thinking. You have misidentified the "want". The person wants to be an iOS developer. That creates the requirement.

Indeed - he does NOT want to have to buy a computer, i.e. he has no desire at all to meet the requirement, but he is forced to. Hence - "requirement" does NOT mean "what you want to do"

In the example:

What he wants to do: Be an iOS developer: Requirement: Get a Mac

See how the two lines differ, and how what he wants doesn't match the requirement? Of course you don't.

Not all "want to do"s become requirements, but I didn't say that this is the case.

Sandman
Again, you should get yourself a real dictionary and learn a thing or two.

Tony Cooper
Understanding the definition of a word is not enough. You must learn when that word, with one of the word's definitions, can be used in context to effectively communicate a thought.

You should learn that too, yes.

-- Sandman[.net]