Re: Paintshop and Corel

Sandman
SubjectRe: Paintshop and Corel
Message-ID<slrnl9cjvm.3s1.mr@irc.sandman.net>
FollowsTony Cooper
FollowupsTony Cooper (7d, 19h & 1m) > Sandman

In article <360c9956k64fpsu56a911250ggjs4no9qt@4ax.com>, Tony Cooper wrote:

Tony Cooper
What about it? The program has been designed to allow these extra steps to the protocol.

Sandman
I'm trying to figure out what constitutes the user "adding steps to the protocol" and what doesn't. We've already established that choosing the destination disk isn't adding a step to the protocol, but adding a second one is. I'm wondering why they are different.

Tony Cooper
I don't know where you get "we've established" anything like that.

Tony Cooper Re: Paintshop and Corel 11/26/2013 <fud999l3tv64rpm1ieamc98aakb6hlc069@4ax.com>

"The user is not adding anything to the protocol by clicking any of the boxes. That's a step in backup action routine."

Glad I could help you remember some of the parts of this web of words you're stuck in.

If the program defaults to backing up the program on the same drive as the function, there's no user-defined addition to the protocol. If the user chooses where the backup(s) are to go, that's a user-added step to the protocol.

Not according to Andreas Skitsnack, who posted the above quote. The user clicks a button and thus choose a destination drive, yet that's not adding anything to the protocol.

I know, I know - it's hard keeping track of all the weird things you've said while trying to make some form of argument here.

Sandman
"The backup protocol is different because it can involve user-defined additions to the built-in protocol."

user-defined added.. requirements?

Tony Cooper
What's the question?

Sandman
You seem to change your mind a lot about what terms you're using. At one points, they're "adding a user-defined step to the protocol" and then I'm having reading comprehension problems if I refer to it that way and it's protocol "*requirements*" instead of... steps? It's confusing the web of words you've tangled yourself up in.

Tony Cooper
That a pretty basic English comprehension issue.

I agree - you have severe English comprehension issues which makes you make up this huge web of words that mean different things every time you use them.

A requirement is what you want to do.

See what I mean? No, Andreas, a "requirement" is NOT "what you want to do". That's a "desire" or "yearning" or "inclination" or "aspiration" or any other synonym for "want". A requirement is something that is necessary, compuslory or needed.

It's pretty ironic that you want to be all sarcastic about English comprehension above and then post something insane like this.

A step (in the protocol) is how you tell the program to do it. That should be obvious.

No, "a step" is not "how you tell the program to do it", Andreas. You're messing up verbs all over the place. "how you tell" is in what manner you communicate with the program. What you probably meant was "a step in the protocol is your instruction for the program" or something to that effect.

It's really hard to have a conversation with your in English if I have to correct your every other sentence this way.

I wouldnt do that if you didn't have a history of being all high and mighty about both spelling, grammar and defintions while at the same time being oblivios to most of it yourself (I think, however, that your spelling is quite good).

Sandman
I think perhaps you don't really know what the word "requirement" means. Again, a requirement is a needed, or necessary condition for something to take place.

Tony Cooper
If you want to play the disingenuous game, go for it. If you want to pretend that "requirement" is only a "needed condition", you can. You have a propensity to have a limited understanding of the definition of words.

Hahaha, yes - Andreas' dictionary has "what you want to do" as the defintion of "requirement". This is ironic beyond belief.

Personally, I'll stick with "requirement" being only something that is "needed".

Nooo! You mean "what you want to do", right? Not what is needed, surely? That would fit the actual dictionary definition way too closely...

That allows me to use it to mean a needed condition *or* a needed action.

But then again, that's not how you use it. You JUST posted - in this very post, that "requirement" means "what you want to do".

In a backup protocol, the "requirement" is an action, and the action can be the designation of the destination of the backup.

You are using words in a way they're not meant to be used, Andreas.

I don't know how you function with your limited understanding of words.

Now that's a laugh.

If told, in the boarding process of taking a flight to another country, "A passport is a requirement to board this flight", do you stand there dumbly doing nothing because you have a passport in your pocket and have met the requirement condition of having one?

No, because that would be proper usage of the word. Amazing that you would actually use it correctly in an example and then fail to apply it correctly in the discussion.

That usage coincides 100% with what I've said all along, in the very post you're replying to. A requirement is something needed or compulsory for something to take place.

It doesn't occur to you that the requirement is being stated because an action is required, and that action is to show your passport?

They're not related. The requirement is for a passport, full stop. To fulfill any given requirement, you may or may not need to take action.

With backup, a requirement is that a backup drive is present. If it is when the "protocol" is initiated or intialized, then no action is required. Same goes with the passport, since it could theortically already be in their possession for whatever reason.

Yes, it can be a required condition to own a second drive, have the second drive connected, and have space on the second drive when using a backup protocol that designates the backup to go to a second drive. But, the protocol requirement is designating where the backup is to go, and that's an action taken by the user, and that's a user-defined addition to the protocol.

Unless, of course, we listen to Andreas here:

Tony Cooper Re: Paintshop and Corel 11/26/2013 <fud999l3tv64rpm1ieamc98aakb6hlc069@4ax.com>

The user is not adding anything to the protocol by clicking any of the boxes. That's a step in backup action routine.

-- Sandman[.net]

Tony Cooper (7d, 19h & 1m) > Sandman