Re: Paintshop and Corel

Sandman
SubjectRe: Paintshop and Corel
Message-ID<slrnla1780.j45.mr@irc.sandman.net>
FollowsTony Cooper
FollowupsTony Cooper (55m) > Sandman

In article <ho41a9decsbcv4gq59t2d6c349u7qbb3td@4ax.com>, Tony Cooper wrote:

Sandman
See what I mean? No, Andreas, a "requirement" is NOT "what you want to do". That's a "desire" or "yearning" or "inclination" or "aspiration" or any other synonym for "want". A requirement is something that is necessary, compuslory or needed.

Tony Cooper
This is a good example of the limited thinking ability of our Swedish Popinjay when it comes to the understanding of words. A "requirement" is most certainly what you "want to do".

Nope.

In the context of the user-defined steps in a backup protocol, requirements are determined by the wants of the user.

Absolutely, but that doesn't mean that "requirement" means "what you want to do". Words can be related to each other, and conditional upon each other, yet not have the same meaning.

I have two external drives. It is not "necessary, compulsory, or needed" for my backups to be directed to either or both of those drives.

No, but they are a requirement if you want to do a backup to either or both of them.

But, I want them to be directed to these drives.

So you make their presence be a requirement - i.e. necessary, compulsory or neeeded. Voila.

Therefore, in my backup protocol, I make this a requirement. Requirement follows want.

It may, to some extent. That doesn't equate the word "requirement" with the phrase "what you want to do".

In any context, not necessarily computer-context, a requirement is simply the manifestation of a want.

Not really, no. A requirement is something more than a mere desire for something. If you really want pancakes, you may exaggerate and shout "I require pancakes!" but you know full well that if none is available, you will continue functioning as usual. If you're starving and risk dying from starvation, then you *require* food (and I'm quite sure any food will suffice, not only pancackes :) and it's more than a mere desire for food. It's a requirement, a need, something compulsory for your survival.

Someone wants it, so someone makes it a requirement.

Sure, that's ok. A diva may say that it's a requirement for white roses to be in her dressing room when she comes to the opera, which is merely something she wants, not something she actually needs. So she makes it a requirement for her presence there.

Without it being wanted, it is not a requirement.

This is totally incorrect though. An iOS developer is required to purchase a Mac to run Xcode to develop applications. In many cases, this is against their wishes, and an unwanted and for some an unfortunate requirement. This is something driven by a *need*, not a *want*, quite clearly illsutrating the fact that the word "requirement" does NOT mean "what you want to do".

Not all "want to do"s become requirements, but I didn't say that this is the case.

Again, you should get yourself a real dictionary and learn a thing or two.

-- Sandman[.net]