Re: Paintshop and Corel

Tony Cooper
SubjectRe: Paintshop and Corel
FromTony Cooper
Date11/23/2013 04:37 (11/22/2013 22:37)
Message-ID<5v7099dpslld1cgshike75de7749v3n992@4ax.com>
FollowsSavageduck
Followupsotter (3h & 54m)

On Fri, 22 Nov 2013 09:06:14 -0800, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>wrote:

Savageduck
On 2013-11-22 13:35:02 +0000, PeterN <peter.newnospam@verizon.net>said:

PeterN
On 11/22/2013 1:02 AM, otter wrote:

otter
And, if you ever feel the need to ditch the CC subscription, you could always outright buy LR5 or upgrade to it, if you really, really, liked the way your library was set up.

PeterN
Right now I have about 1.5T of RAW files, plus about 250 gig of processed files. Tim Grey advises that all LR files be kept on one drive. he also advises that the files be kept on an external drive, and that we not use DNG. Before I even try LR, I want to reorganize my files. I should have that completed by the weekend.

Link courtesy of the Duck: <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSwkDC3q7uk>

He also advises that

Savageduck
There is a danger in following any individual's method religiously. What Tim Grey advises is good for HIM. It is not necessarily the best workflow for ALL.

I sat through Tim's presentation. He doesn't say this is the way to do it. He says "I do it this way", and then he tells you why. The closest he gets to "advises" is saying "If you're doing something similar to what I'm doing, this will work for you."

The closest he came to *advising* was to say not to use the file names that the camera generates. He advised us to use a file name that means something. Since file names can be set on Import, he urged using something meaningful.

A plan for organizing your files using Lightroom is essential. However, given the quantity of files you have currently archived you have to consider the time factor involved.

I disagree there. A couple of day's work at the beginning is worth it. We have the ability to mass-move files into folders if folders are desired. It's not like sorting prints into piles.

-- Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

otter (3h & 54m)