Re: Paintshop and Corel

PeterN
SubjectRe: Paintshop and Corel
FromPeterN
Date11/23/2013 13:14 (11/23/2013 07:14)
Message-ID<l6q66202u6k@news4.newsguy.com>
Followsnospam
Followupsnospam (18m) > PeterN
Mayayana (2h & 21m) > PeterN
Eric Stevens (9h & 57m)

On 11/23/2013 12:49 AM, nospam wrote:

nospam
In article <l6pc8e$jmo$1@dont-email.me>, Mayayana <mayayana@invalid.nospam>wrote:

Mayayana
| >I still use PSP5 for basic editing. It does what I | >need. I once decided to update to PSP7 but was | >very disappointed with it. They had stuffed it full | >of nonsense bloat. (Simply drawing a rectangle had | >become a complex task, cluttered with choices | >to use stock backgrounds and such.) So I went back | >to PSP5. | > | You should have a look at X6. I think you will find it is a useful and | competent program.

I'm tempted to do just that. I noticed it's not very expensive. And it doesn't seem to require any online contact or "membership" in order to work. But it seems to be very bloated. The system requirements say it needs at least 1 GB of disk space. There's just no excuse for that level of junk.

nospam
1 gig is nothing these days.

2 *terabyte* drives are under $100 these days.

1 gig of space is about 10 cents of storage.

even a 128 gig ssd is fairly cheap.

Mayayana
My entire C drive is a little over 2 GB, and that's with about 25 MB for PSP5, plus all of Visual Studio 6, 125 MB for GIMP 2.8, 300+ MB for Libre Office 4 (which is, itself, a sloppy, overproduced mess, but I need it for docs and creating PDFs), and a few other things, along with Windows XP. The $80+- would be fine for a worthwhile upgrade, but unnecessary slop the size of an operating system

nospam
operating systems haven't been 1 gig for years and visual studio 6? seriously? that is ancient and very non-compliant with the standards (although not surprising from a company like microsoft who ignores standards wherever they can to lock you in).

you're about 15 years behind the times, although i'm not at all surprised.

If it works for him, why should he change. the latest and greatest is not for everybody. I know a programmer who< horror of horrors, makes a decent living using Visual Basic.

-- PeterN

nospam (18m) > PeterN
Mayayana (2h & 21m) > PeterN
Eric Stevens (9h & 57m)