Re: Paintshop and Corel

Tony Cooper
SubjectRe: Paintshop and Corel
FromTony Cooper
Date11/26/2013 17:52 (11/26/2013 11:52)
Message-ID<llj99914fp7ga0hcsus7o6s3cqa2h3r0ue@4ax.com>
FollowupsSandman (5h & 3m) > Tony Cooper

On 26 Nov 2013 15:36:21 GMT, Sandman <mr@sandman.net>wrote:

Sandman
In article <fud999l3tv64rpm1ieamc98aakb6hlc069@4ax.com>, Tony Cooper wrote:

Tony Cooper
In this case, though you are describing it poorly, you are referring to an action that does not need a user-defined protocol because the user does not need a standard set of steps to accomplish the action.

Sandman
Just like automatic backup, then. Heeey, sounds like what I've been saying all along, doesn't it?

Tony Cooper
Think really hard and you might begin to understand that an automatic backup action follows the protocol set by the developer.

Sandman
What developer were you talking to when you said:

"I know you can set a back-up protocol to back up multiple drives, but the one-drive system works for most people."

Because now you're saying that the only protocol present in an automated backup is the one defined by the developer, yet above you were talking to Noelle about her being able to set up a "back-up protocol", but she's not a developer of backup systems as far as I'm aware...

No, I didn't say that. There's no "only" implied or expressed. The developer's backup protocol can include the ability to add user-defined steps. One such step is to backup on multiple drives.

Tangle tangle tangle...

Tony Cooper
The backup protocol is different because it can involve user-defined additions to the built-in protocol.

Sandman
"Can"? Are you now saying that both file copying and backup are governed by protocols but you would only call backup a "protocol" since you "can" add things to this supposed protocol?

Tony Cooper
And the user adds his own protocol requirements of frequency and destination to the backup protocol of the developer.

Sandman
So clicking a button is now "adding his own protocol"?

Jesus! You are completely devoid of reading comprehension ability. I didn't say you "add a protocol". You add protocol *requirements*. The requirements are part of the protocol.

Even in the cases where you can determine frequency, you would call clicking a popup and choosing "hourly" (for instance) that the user is "adding his own protocol"?

Not as you wrote is, but Yes if you had the ability and smarts to form the statement in line with what I've said. When you click the popup to choose the frequency, you are adding a protocol requirement. Not a protocol, but a step that is a requirement in the protocol.

I can't figure out if you are hampered in your understanding by language, intellectual capacity, or inability to process what you read.

You have so far not demonstrated any understanding of what a "protocol" is. You seem to think that any step in a process is a protocol. The protocol is the defined *series* of steps that will be done every time the task is initiated.

-- Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

Sandman (5h & 3m) > Tony Cooper