Re: Paintshop and Corel

Sandman
SubjectRe: Paintshop and Corel
Message-ID<slrnl9bga4.248.mr@irc.sandman.net>
FollowsSavageduck

In article <2013112700563627294-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>, Savageduck wrote:

Sandman
<snip protocol>

Yeah, that's pretty much what I expected. I didn't consider the Colorspace, since I assumed you would use in-camera mirroring of memory cards, but you may not have a camera with dual memory cards so then the colorspace is an excellent first step.

Savageduck
My D300S has CF and SDHC slots. and while I have used the in-camera mirroring feature, I find using the secondary slot for overflow much more useful. Especially when shooting lots of images at events such as air shows, motor sports events, and stuff like that. Then if I shoot RAW+JPEG, RAW goes to the CF card & JPEG goes to the SDHC. Also using SDHC cards as part of the traveling back-up show might be OK for some folks, but not me.

Sure, it's a matter of safety vs. convenience :)

Full backup of the MBP HDD is a separate issue an is dealt with by Superduper. My desktop Mac is backed up with TimeMachine

Sandman
How come you don't use Time Machine on your MBP? SuperDuper is nice, but Time Machine is incremental, which sounds like a better choice, no?

Savageduck
The MBP is meant to give me a degree of portability and lugging a HDD farm around adds a burden to that portability. One OWC FW800 Mercury drive doesn't take up too much space. TimeMachine is a consideration, but the way I use my MBP would make it less than efficient or perhaps a little less practical.

Huh, but if you lug around an external drive either way, I just assumed TM would be the better backup solution.

BTW: Superduper does incremental saves.

It does? My bad, then. I thought SuperDuper was used to make disk clones, i.e. a bootable clone of your startup drive. I haven't used it myself in many years so I haven't kept up to date with added functionality.

In fact, a quick google suggests that it doesn't actually do incremental backup's, and it isn't mentioned on their site or in their user guide [1]. They have "smart update" that only copies/deletes the files needed to make the destination a 1:1 copy of the source, making backup's quicker. They also have a "Copy different" that copies only files that are different, but overwriting the earlier backup copy.

Incremental backups [2] keep all versions of all files, so you can go back in time (hence "Time Machine") to any version of a file. The downside is that the backup is not a clone. Lots of people use Time Machine for data recovery and SuperDuper/Carbon Copy Cloner for harddrive recovery.

But, if your MBP harddrive fails, you can boot the laptop from a new blank HDD and restore it completely from the Time Machine backup, using its latest version, so most of the time, TM fulfills the backup needs you would need at any time.

Unless, of course, you use SuperDuper to only backup a part of your disk, in which case it's a more logical choice. :)

1: http://s3.amazonaws.com/com.shirtpocket/SuperDuper/SuperDuper.pdf 2: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incremental_backup

-- Sandman[.net]