Re: Paintshop and Corel

David Taylor
SubjectRe: Paintshop and Corel
FromDavid Taylor
Date12/03/2013 10:25 (12/03/2013 09:25)
Message-ID<l7k82f$bto$1@dont-email.me>
FollowsMark Sieving
Followupsnospam (7h & 38m) > David Taylor

On 02/12/2013 22:41, Mark Sieving wrote: []

Mark Sieving
I came across a test of the Samsung SSD 840 250GB TLC: http://tinyurl.com/mgxam7r

[]

As they note, a sample of two drives is not conclusive, but the indication is that the drives will probably last far longer than anyone would require.

Thanks for that pointer, Mark. It does show that you need to know your disk activity before committing to an SSD rather than an HD. In one application I have, we get about 50 GB/day of compressed satellite data, which is then processed to images totally some 50 GB/day, which may then be further processed by scientists into both images and animations. The animations may be updated once every 5 or 15 minutes (according to the data source). Disk writes may be some 250 GB/day, giving an SSD life (for their device) of less than 3 years for this intensive usage. And that with one of the most recent SSDs available.

Interesting that "Samsung guarantees a lifespan of 1,000 cycles", contradicting claims made by another poster in this thread.

-- Cheers, David Web: http://www.satsignal.eu

nospam (7h & 38m) > David Taylor