Re: Paintshop and Corel

Tony Cooper
SubjectRe: Paintshop and Corel
FromTony Cooper
Date11/25/2013 15:35 (11/25/2013 09:35)
Message-ID<i8n699dvrln6fsfhfgvgvq8dv3jvk7ig8g@4ax.com>
Followsnospam
FollowupsSandman (1h & 7m) > Tony Cooper
nospam (2h & 40m) > Tony Cooper

On Mon, 25 Nov 2013 01:35:44 -0500, nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:

nospam
In article <fjl599pv7gv6tq1snh7tnvtf768hcovnot@4ax.com>, Tony Cooper <tonycooper214@gmail.com>wrote:

Tony Cooper
Who's "we"? You have no idea what anyone else thinks about my posts.

nospam
i never said i did.

Tony Cooper
Then who is "we"?

nospam
i never said anything about what people think. what i said referred to the evidence where you contradict yourself and show yourself to have a double standard, making you a hypocrite.

Tony Cooper
Look, nospam, this is not your first rodeo. You can't snip out something and pretend you never said it. You said: "you're a hypocrite, but we knew that."

nospam
i am not pretending i didn't say it.

it doesn't mean what you think it means. no surprise there, since reading comprehension is not your strong suit.

"We knew" clearly says "We knew what they were thinking". What else could it mean?

Tony Cooper
So I'm asking, who's "we" and how do you know what they're thinking?

nospam
i'm not referring to what they're thinking.

i'm referring to the evidence that shows you to be a hypocrite. that evidence is very clear, and in numerous posts (not just this thread).

not really, and that link is titled 'what is your backup plan', not 'what is your backup protocol'.

Tony Cooper
So what? I didn't say it's a term always used in article titles. I said it's a common term, and showed where it was used in an article. "Protocol" and "plan" have similar meanings, but "protocol" is the better word to use.

nospam
just because you get a bunch of google hits doesn't mean it's a commonly used phrase.

search for 'backup plan' and you get 3x as many hits as 'backup protocol'.

if you type just the word backup and let google auto-fill, the words plan and strategies are among the suggested words. protocol is not.

that means google doesn't think 'backup protocol' is a common phrase either. the auto-fill terms are based on what 'most people' search for.

Tony Cooper
A "backup strategy" is worse as a term to use. A "strategy" is a plan of action that is determined before you do something. You determine your strategy, and then you devise a protocol to memorialize that plan.

nospam
and that's exactly what a backup strategy is.

you have to plan how you are going to do the backups, which include hourly snapshots, periodic full clones and how often to rotate offsite backups and where they're kept, plus any encryption if needed. a cloud backup might also be included.

all of this takes planning, including activating an account if cloud storage is used or finding an appropriate offsite location (i.e., a bank vault) for the offsite backup.

Yes, you have a strategy, devise a plan, and then put the plan into effect by memorializing and putting into place your protocol for back-ups. The "protocol" is how and when you do back-ups. It's the result of the strategy and planning. The protocol you use becomes the standard for your back-up procedure.

There are several FTP programs available to use. They are called "FTP" programs because they follow the File Transfer Protocol...the standard.

Tony Cooper
That's OK, though. I've seen your posts. The correct use of the language arts is not your strong point.

nospam
the correct use of technical terms *is* my strong point (one of them, anyway).

leave the technical stuff to those who understand it.

Test it. Next time you take a Market Research flight, and happen to be sitting next to someone who is in the industry, ask them about back-up protocols. They won't say "Hunh? Whazzat?".

-- Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

Sandman (1h & 7m) > Tony Cooper
nospam (2h & 40m) > Tony Cooper