Re: Paintshop and Corel

Sandman
SubjectRe: Paintshop and Corel
Message-ID<slrnl95tl4.ksa.mr@irc.sandman.net>
FollowsSavageduck
FollowupsTony Cooper (8h & 19m) > Sandman
Eric Stevens (2d, 15h & 4m)

In article <2013112421034119589-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>, Savageduck wrote:

nospam
not really, and that link is titled 'what is your backup plan', not 'what is your backup protocol'.

i've been in the tech industry for a few decades, i have not heard the term 'backup protocol'. it's normally called 'backup strategy' or 'backup plan', which your link confirms in its title.

Savageduck
I use the term "protocol" in many different situations including referring to my back-up plan, method, etc. as my "Back-up protocol" especially when it comes to back-up on a road trip. Then I have referred to it as my "Triple Redundant Back-up Protocol" when using my Colorspace UDMA, MBP, & FW800 1TB portable HDD. I have written that in these photo NGs many times

That's my interpretation of the term as well, that a "backup protocol" is something you execute manually. LIke you when on the road, you have a backup protocol (written down or in your head) of the steps you have to take to ensure that your data is backed up correctly.

But when you get home and offload the images to your Mac, the automatic backup to Time Machine is presumably not one of your "backup protocols" since it¨'s all done automatically and without you having to do anything.

The old .Mac backup application could be called a protocol, since it required the user to set up definitions with sources, destinations and filters for what they wanted to backup, and as far as I can remember, it was never run automatically.

-- Sandman[.net]

Tony Cooper (8h & 19m) > Sandman
Eric Stevens (2d, 15h & 4m)