Re: Paintshop and Corel

Savageduck
SubjectRe: Paintshop and Corel
FromSavageduck
Date11/25/2013 06:03 (11/24/2013 21:03)
Message-ID<2013112421034119589-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>
Followsnospam
FollowupsSandman (2h)

On 2013-11-25 04:34:17 +0000, nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>said:

nospam
In article <h2g599troeb8154mnmq9qtpcl71r58uvnh@4ax.com>, Tony Cooper <tonycooper214@gmail.com>wrote:

Tony Cooper
But, with the availability of relatively inexpensive multi-terrabyte external drives, getting all your files on one drive is not difficult. With all your files on one drive, you can back up all files at one time. Backing up the drives is the most protective action you can take.

nospam
backing up more than one drive can also be done at one time.

you must be doing it the hard way, manually, which does not surprise me in the least.

Tony Cooper
You don't read the full text before making one of your idiotic statements? It's not me doing anything in this post.

nospam
if i had said most, you'd be going on about how i can't possibly know what most people want, how did i do my survey, why am i forcing my ways on everyone else, and all the other nonsensical bullshit you spew.

Tony Cooper
No, when you talk about "most people", you use it to describe more specific things.

nospam
i use it to describe what it says, most people.

Tony Cooper
"Most" is quite acceptable when it is used to describe what we all know is done by most people.

nospam
exactly how i use the term.

Tony Cooper
No, you use to mean something you *think*, or hope, "most" people do. Usually, it's something favorable about Apple.

nospam
incorrect, as usual.

Tony Cooper
Who's "we"? You have no idea what anyone else thinks about my posts.

nospam
i never said i did.

Tony Cooper
Then who is "we"?

nospam
i never said anything about what people think. what i said referred to the evidence where you contradict yourself and show yourself to have a double standard, making you a hypocrite.

Tony Cooper
What do you think a "back-up protocol" is?

nospam
i've never heard it called that.

Tony Cooper
Oh, I see. Which part is new to you? "Back-up"? You know what is entailed in backing-up files? Do I need to explain this?

A "protocol" is a system that is followed to do something. A protocol is established in order to do the same thing the same way every time we do it. A protocol also establishes when we do it.

So, a "back-up protocol" is a system devised by the user that tells him when to back-up the files, where to back-up the files to, and anything else routinely done in the back-up process.

In Lightroom, the user establishes the back-up protocol for the LR files (not the actual image files) under "Catalog Settings". The user chooses how often to back-up and where the back-up goes.

It's not a term I invented. It's a common term, and Google will provide many articles on back-up protocol.

nospam
actually it doesn't.

what it gives for the phrase is not what you meant when you said it.

Tony Cooper
Sure it is. A "protocol" is just a fancy word for a "plan".

nospam
as usual you don't understand what you're talking about.

Tony Cooper
I don't know what your problem is in understanding what stares you in the face. I Googled "back-up protocol" and this is the third hit on the page:

http://99u.com/articles/6988/whats-your-back-up-plan

That contains:

In order for your backup protocol to be effective, itÂ’s absolutely crucial that your files be in at least two different locations as soon after creating the images as possible. Creating two copies of the original data is the most important step in backing up data. However unlikely, hard drives and memory cards do sometimes FAIL. DonÂ’t subject yourself to having only one copy of your precious photos or videos. ItÂ’s not worth it.

There are many more like this.

nospam
not really, and that link is titled 'what is your backup plan', not 'what is your backup protocol'.

i've been in the tech industry for a few decades, i have not heard the term 'backup protocol'. it's normally called 'backup strategy' or 'backup plan', which your link confirms in its title.

I use the term "protocol" in many different situations including referring to my back-up plan, method, etc. as my "Back-up protocol" especially when it comes to back-up on a road trip. Then I have referred to it as my "Triple Redundant Back-up Protocol" when using my Colorspace UDMA, MBP, & FW800 1TB portable HDD. I have written that in these photo NGs many times

Apple has this to say about protocol when referring to data: < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_406.jpg >

To cover all eventualities there are a few other uses of the word. There is nothing wrong with using "protocol", " strict method", "governed technique". When "protocol" is used you are stating you have a set of rules controlling how you go about whatever it is you are applying that "protocol" to. < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_407.jpg >

-- Regards,

Savageduck