Re: Paintshop and Corel

Tony Cooper
SubjectRe: Paintshop and Corel
FromTony Cooper
Date11/27/2013 16:03 (11/27/2013 10:03)
Message-ID<360c9956k64fpsu56a911250ggjs4no9qt@4ax.com>
FollowupsSandman (4h & 58m) > Tony Cooper

On 27 Nov 2013 07:09:08 GMT, Sandman <mr@sandman.net>wrote:

Tony Cooper
What about it? The program has been designed to allow these extra steps to the protocol.

Sandman
I'm trying to figure out what constitutes the user "adding steps to the protocol" and what doesn't. We've already established that choosing the destination disk isn't adding a step to the protocol, but adding a second one is. I'm wondering why they are different.

I don't know where you get "we've established" anything like that. If the program defaults to backing up the program on the same drive as the function, there's no user-defined addition to the protocol. If the user chooses where the backup(s) are to go, that's a user-added step to the protocol.

Paintshop and Corel 11/26/2013 <lcj89959nqrbfjkcn7kb7pa52kkcesbtlh@4ax.com>

"The backup protocol is different because it can involve user-defined additions to the built-in protocol."

user-defined added.. requirements?

Tony Cooper
What's the question?

Sandman
You seem to change your mind a lot about what terms you're using. At one points, they're "adding a user-defined step to the protocol" and then I'm having reading comprehension problems if I refer to it that way and it's protocol "*requirements*" instead of... steps? It's confusing the web of words you've tangled yourself up in.

That a pretty basic English comprehension issue. A requirement is what you want to do. A step (in the protocol) is how you tell the program to do it. That should be obvious.

I think perhaps you don't really know what the word "requirement" means. Again, a requirement is a needed, or necessary condition for something to take place.

If you want to play the disingenuous game, go for it. If you want to pretend that "requirement" is only a "needed condition", you can. You have a propensity to have a limited understanding of the definition of words.

Personally, I'll stick with "requirement" being only something that is "needed". That allows me to use it to mean a needed condition *or* a needed action. In a backup protocol, the "requirement" is an action, and the action can be the designation of the destination of the backup.

I don't know how you function with your limited understanding of words. If told, in the boarding process of taking a flight to another country, "A passport is a requirement to board this flight", do you stand there dumbly doing nothing because you have a passport in your pocket and have met the requirement condition of having one? It doesn't occur to you that the requirement is being stated because an action is required, and that action is to show your passport?

Yes, it can be a required condition to own a second drive, have the second drive connected, and have space on the second drive when using a backup protocol that designates the backup to go to a second drive. But, the protocol requirement is designating where the backup is to go, and that's an action taken by the user, and that's a user-defined addition to the protocol.

-- Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

Sandman (4h & 58m) > Tony Cooper