Re: Paintshop and Corel

J. Clarke
SubjectRe: Paintshop and Corel
FromJ. Clarke
Date11/26/2013 23:29 (11/26/2013 17:29)
Message-ID<MPG.2cfeeaa5a9edf5b798a1c8@news.newsguy.com>
FollowsTony Cooper
FollowupsTony Cooper (5h & 41m)

In article <ln1a99l8do45a63svi40iuv6be85u8thb2@4ax.com>, tonycooper214 @gmail.com says...

Tony Cooper
On Tue, 26 Nov 2013 14:54:57 -0500, "J. Clarke" <jclarkeusenet@cox.net>wrote:

J. Clarke
Tony, just a comment here but someone working in IT would typically use "policy" to describe what you are referring to as a "protocol", which could be part the reason that people are being so argumentative.

Tony Cooper
I don't know that usage. I'm not involved in IT in any way, so if there's a jargon use for "policy", then it's new to me.

I'd appreciate a definition of "policy" as it applies to IT work. Preferably, a definition in your own words rather than a link. Link definitions tend to contain references that need definitions.

To me, a "policy" would be a set of regulations that determine how a situation will be handled. A "protocol", though, is a set of steps that will be followed in performing a task. A policy determines what people do, but the protocol determines what a program does.

Correct me if I'm wrong about a policy in an IT context.

Generally speaking a "protocol" would be something used for interprocess communications--TCP/IP for example is "Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol", a standard for communication between diverse systems. USENET runs on "NNTP"--Network News Transmission Protocol, another system-independent standard for communications. Whenever I think of a "protocol" that's the sort of thing I have in mind. There might be hardware aspects of it as well--"Ethernet" is a set of protocols that include definition of the voltages, currents, waveforms, etc for signals carried on cables or over fiber optic networks.

A "policy" would be a set of rules established by an administrator. It might be in the form of written instructions to users or it might be something that is enforced by the system but is often a combination of both. So a backup policy might include setting the backup program to kick off every night at 2 AM and do a differential backup of all machines on the system, with a memo that some designated person is to change out the tapes or backup disks or whatever every afternoon before he goes home.

In the Windows "Pro" and "Server" versions the term "policy" is built into the system--quite a lot can be configured by "group policies"--if you've never seen this, go to start/run and type in "gpedit.msc" (remember, this doesn't work on the "Home" versions or versions before IIRC Windows 2000) and you should get the Group Policy Editor. Note--be careful with this--you _can_ lock yourself out of your own machine (DAMHIKT)--but if you've never seen it before it's interesting just to see the sorts of things you can configure.

On a LAN running a domain policies can be set in Active Directory and affect the entire network--a large part of administration is understanding group policies and how they interact. The control is quite detailed and fine-grained.

Tony Cooper (5h & 41m)