Sandman
SubjectRe: Paintshop and Corel
Message-ID<slrnl9b6ml.1rf.mr@irc.sandman.net>
FollowsTony Cooper
FollowupsSavageduck (44m) > Sandman
Tony Cooper (7h & 54m) > Sandman

In article <hifa999a0a7qsat638uflm7rstaaia43tv@4ax.com>, Tony Cooper wrote:

Sandman
So in a scenario where a user clicks "use" to enable the automatic backup that is NOT him adding his protocol to the developers protocol (whatever that may mean), but if he clicks *another* button to add another backup disc, then THAT is him adding his own protocol on top, or to, the developer's protocol? Is there some form of defined rule what constitutes "adding user-defined steps"?

Tony Cooper
I'll try to follow that muddle of dialog. There can be a "button" that initiates the process, but when you add a destination you are adding a user-defined step to the protocol.

That's really not an answer to the question though. Why is one button an initiation and another button "adding a user-defined step to the protocol" (and why isn't it adding a protocol "requirement"?)

Sandman
What if the initial dialog asked him if he wanted to enable and it had "yes, use X for backup" and another button that said "Yes, use X and Y for backup" which means that by clicking that one button he had added multiple backup targets?

Tony Cooper
What about it? The program has been designed to allow these extra steps to the protocol.

I'm trying to figure out what constitutes the user "adding steps to the protocol" and what doesn't. We've already established that choosing the destination disk isn't adding a step to the protocol, but adding a second one is. I'm wondering why they are different.

Sandman
Paintshop and Corel 11/26/2013 <lcj89959nqrbfjkcn7kb7pa52kkcesbtlh@4ax.com>

"The backup protocol is different because it can involve user-defined additions to the built-in protocol."

user-defined added.. requirements?

Tony Cooper
What's the question?

You seem to change your mind a lot about what terms you're using. At one points, they're "adding a user-defined step to the protocol" and then I'm having reading comprehension problems if I refer to it that way and it's protocol "*requirements*" instead of... steps? It's confusing the web of words you've tangled yourself up in.

Not as you wrote is, but Yes if you had the ability and smarts to form the statement in line with what I've said. When you click the popup to choose the frequency, you are adding a protocol requirement. Not a protocol, but a step that is a requirement in the protocol.

Sandman
Right, so it's not a "back-up protocol", but rather a... "back-up protocol requirement" then? Just trying to untangle this mess here.

Tony Cooper
Really? You don't understand this?

I really don't understand your insistance about trying to put very precise and niché definitions to words to make them mean what you need them to mean at the moment when they are much broader words to begin with, and are already clearly defined.

I'll tell you what. Write out on a piece of paper the steps you want your backup function to perform, but send the backup to just one destination. Preface each step with the word "requirement:"

Humor me and title that list "Backup Protocol".

Backup protocol --------------- Backup requirement: Backup to disk "Backup"

Done!

Looks pretty slim for a "protocol" doesn't it? And isn't the destination disk an odd thing for a "requirement"? A requirement is something that is needed. Like, a requirement for a backup process would be empty space on the destination disk, or that the destination disk is connected. If you were inclined to make a protocol, then one of the steps would perhaps t be to make sure that it is connected properly and that it has free space.

Using Savageduck's definition of backup protocol (which I very much agree with), your list makes a lot more sense. And, he didn't outline it, so this isme making a pseudo Savageduck backup protocol:

Backup protocol --------------- 1. Connect laptop to power source 2. Connect backup disk 3. Import photos from memory card 4. Manually run Time Machine backup to external drive 4c. If connected, wait for dropbox to sync online 5. Disconnect external drive 6. Erase memory card

Again, no "requirements" really. And this is an actual protocol for the user he has to follow. Sure, the above list may not be scribbled on a piece of paper, and only be kept in his head as a mental list, but it is an actual backup protocol - no doubt about that.

But it is also highly manual, which the word "protocol" implies heavily, which is why nospam assumed you were doing backup's manually.

After that's done, decide that you want the backup sent to two locations in the form of "Requirement: backup to Drive A." and "Requirement: backup to Drive B".

I think perhaps you don't really know what the word "requirement" means. Again, a requirement is a needed, or necessary condition for something to take place. A requirement for usenet posting is an internet connection and a usenet client. Your "protocol" for usenet posting surely doesn't contain the steps to make sure you have an internet connection and a usenet client.

I think the "list" you see in your mind is something like this:

Backup

Requirements - Backup disk A - Backup disk B - Free space on both disks

Protocol 1 Attach backup disks 2 Choose "Backup now" from menu 3 When done, eject and disconnect disks

Now, that's a protocol! And with requirements! And if the user want to - he or she can add items to the list as well:

Requirements [...] - Internet connection

Protocol [...] 4 Wait for dropbox sync to finnish

See - added steps to the protocol AND a new requirement for the backup!

And, as you can see - this is a purely manual process. With the normal backup routine for normal users, it is all done quite automatic. No need for any "protocol" or distinguishing between a "developer protocol" and "user-added steps to the protocol" since it's all automatic!

-- Sandman[.net]